PDA

View Full Version : Lara Croft

Curtj5
05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Whats up. I like the idea of this forum and would like to show what I'm currently working on as a personal project. It's based off of the Underworld iteration of Lara and some fan art I came across. Most of the modeling was done in ZBrush. I plan on probably creating a mock-up promotional image mostly done in ZBrush and Photoshop, so I think I'll focus mostly on the front of the model. This is mostly an excersise in ZBrush and I don't know if I want to spend the time to do the textures etc in Maya... Right now I'm trying to polish the model and just threw some colors on to start texturing with polypaint.

http://www.curt3d.com/upload/lara1.jpg
http://www.curt3d.com/upload/lara2.jpg

INKMAN002
05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
it seems youre on the right track. its hard to give a crit at this point because you have a pretty decent base model and with a little more finesse to the texturing im sure it would be a whole lot better. one thing however her lips, the two hills at the top seem very pointy. might want to soften those.

ranaazeem
05-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't know much about character stuff my friend
But as a viewer it looks to me as her chest area is poping out like she is trying to lean forward or something.
that's what i think!

Johnseventine
05-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Totally agree with ranaazeem you should try to imagine what could happen if your character was a figurine on a table and keep the best balance to stay upright. From the Back view it looks like you should put more thickness on the elbows..

Curtj5
05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
hmmm ya I agree thanks, about the elbows too, I'm gonna end up posing her so I'll fix it then.

WanderersLane
05-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Hey there, there's a couple things that I saw, but take my critiques with a grain of salt as I'm still learning anatomy myself.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/houseofpeppers/critlara.jpg

I think that perhaps her rib cage is a bit too wide, just a bit. Also her hips and the top of her thighs are a little too slim. Part of what makes Lara sexy is her hourglass shape, and at the moment she looks too top-heavy, just by a fraction. Her lower legs and ankles are just a fraction too thick as well, in my opinion. Slim them down just a little (even though she's wearing boots) and her legs will look svelte. Her knees need to be softened too- at the moment they're too defined and look a little garish.

I also think that her face should be softened. As she is now, she's not very pretty. She's got "stare into your soul" round eyes, and the features of her face are too sharp. I've roughly painted over her face (albeit not very well, but hopefully I've got my point across). All the lines are softened, and the curves of her lips are made less so- just a hint of a smile. If you want her to have a big smile, you need to reflect that in her eyes, her lips will flatten, her cheeks will lift and her nose will change. Keeping just a hint of a smile looks a bit more flattering, I think. Also, Lara has 'sexy eyes'. That is, her top lids are always heavy, rimmed with a thick row of lashes. Having them wide open loses that seductiveness.
Her profile also needs small adjustments in my opinion. The area that encompasses her nose and mouth is pinched forward. If you soften the nose and drop the lips back, I think it makes her more feminine.

I've also done a quick lasso job on her full body profile, to try and get rid of that 'leaning forward' appearance. Remember the center of balance. You'll note that I've also slimmed her shoulder area a little too.

I hope that helps! I really like the detail with the clothing.

mister3d
05-08-2010, 02:33 AM
First of all, using someone's concept like Lara Croft is not a very good idea, because you use a famous franchise for your portfolio and have no rights for it.
The back of the head looks a bit small.The ear starts in the middle of the head usually. The corners of lips look too pointy and need to be pushed inside a bit, as there's a fold there. Maybe her shoulders could be a bit tighter as she is a woman.

Curtj5
05-08-2010, 03:26 AM
thanks guys I agree with most of what you said

Kanga
05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Put a model of a real skull inside the head of yours to see where it pokes out.

The lower lip is protruding almost as far forward as the upper which gives the model a look of lower intelligence.

The knees are not well constructed, with leggy models this is very important.

The anatomy seems very straight up and down so it isn't as expressive as it could be, see the forearms for instance.

Edit: I am a monster, but will be posting my own here soon, looking forward to you stomping it!

wwswimming
05-08-2010, 02:47 PM
her breasts are too big.

with those breasts and that posture she will have lower back pain eventually.

Curtj5
05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
lol you're right about the lips making her look "of lower intelligence"

I never really had a concept nailed down, I've changed the face once and originally I was going for a realistic look. But I'm going to change it to be stylized to the classic Lara Croft look.

Kanga
05-09-2010, 12:31 AM
lol you're right about the lips making her look "of lower intelligence"

I never really had a concept nailed down, I've changed the face once and originally I was going for a realistic look. But I'm going to change it to be stylized to the classic Lara Croft look.
I dont know if you should change your style. You have some nice stuff going on, why not go all the way with your original plan?

Curtj5
05-09-2010, 03:10 AM
Well. The thing is, I found this fan art after most of the model was worked on. And I like it, I'm a Tomb Raider fan and like the oldschool Lara style better, so I'm gonna try and go for it, as a challenge, since I haven't really liked the new Lara as much in recent years.

http://www.curt3d.com/upload/vyv01.jpg

Bergquist
05-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Hey Curtis,

It looks like your girl's facial features are a bit out of place.
Her eyes look as though they are about to pop out of her head.
The forehead doesn't come out quite far enough in the front.
The corners of her mouth, as mentioned before just look odd.
And the placement of her cheeks in relation to the laugh line and eyes doesn't look quite right.

Are you lining her up with any photo reference?
I would strongly recommend it.

Sincerely,
-Bergquist

Curtj5
05-09-2010, 05:07 AM
thanks ya I had a frontal image plane but the face was a wip and I was combining different reference photos and they all had different facial expressions :P anyways I'm changing the whole face to try and match that concept, which isn't realistic...........wish me luck lol

Kanga
05-12-2010, 11:32 PM
There is some stuff on the fan art I really like too. Face, arms, legs, all pretty attractive. I think it is an excellent look.

Bergquist
05-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Should be cool, I agree with Kanga, the concept piece has an excellent look, and the facial features should go well in your model.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with,
-Bergquist

Curtj5
05-14-2010, 01:38 AM
well it's on the backburner for now but I'll get around to it.

Curtj5
07-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Here's an update. I've been working on the textures but the model isn't quite finished, the arm needs the most attention I think... She's still leaning forward but I'll fix that when I pose her. The right side of her body/polypaint is going to be mirrored over. She still needs eyelashes, and a skin bump... The backpack texture is too dark. I'm going to paint the hair last, the boots still don't have a texture. After I finish the polypaint I'll be changing the shader/material properties.

http://www.curt3d.com/upload/lcfront.jpg

http://www.curt3d.com/upload/lcback.jpg

Kanga
07-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Lookin good. Only a few things I can see. The knees are not as attractive as the rest of the body, especially from the side view. There is something going on with the length of the abdomin, but I am not sure what. The arms in profile should go from bigger to smaller from biceps to elbow, and from elbow to wrist.

Show the model in perspective view. Orthographic view is difficult to judge a figure, because we never see them like that.

Nice work.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2010, 07:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.