PDA

View Full Version : Project Miraii-Gary form help

Spirit2029
05-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Hello, this is a character from a short film I am working on. I am learning mudbox for sculpting, and using Xsi as my primary software. Currently I am sculpting the characters face, these are a test to see how the forms are reading with lighting. I am trying for a older look to this character, wrinkles, saggy skin, and of course alien. I am happy with the muzzle so far but am getting stumped on the brow, always looks mad, and what I should do with the bottom mouth and jaw. I haven't touched the ears yet, I know what I want there. I have several anatomy books on my desk right now, seeing what might work for the lower face. Please let me know what you think could be changed or added. He does have a tiny bit of a dog face to him, which was what I wanted, now I just need to age him up. Also I keep hitting a out of memory problem when working in mudbox, I have 4 gigs and am running xp. Guess I need to upgrade?

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5163/gary34.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6941/garyfront.jpg

Do you like the lighting, or is it still too flat? I know the skin looks plastic, I over ran the spec to see the forms better. Also there is no textures on his face, just the eyes.

Regards
Chris S
Spirit2029

INKMAN002
05-07-2010, 04:32 PM
you could soften the furrows in the center of his brow. the closer those two bumps are the madder he will look. deepen that line and the mood turns to angry. the bottom jaw (for an older look) could use a second chin and lips will look fine once a bump map is applied with more wrinkles. the eyes (for an older look) could use a little more sag and droopiness. but i think he looks fine as he is.

mister3d
05-08-2010, 01:06 AM
The overall design of the face and ears looks horrible. The eyelids look unnatural - too detached. In reality they attach closer to the eyeballs. To me this guy looks unattractive, unfortunately. Especially the nose and folds around it. He looks not like a dog, but like a mutant. Maybe you should consider reworking the concept.

WanderersLane
05-08-2010, 02:00 AM
I think that maybe you should work on this a little more before you look for constructive critiques. The first thing I would say is that he looks like plastic. But you're aware of that. The next thing I would say is that his ears look completely unfinished, but you already mentioned that. So I'm not really certain what we should critique?

The only thing I will point out at this stage is the functionality of this creature's facial design. His wrinkles don't look functional. Look at a pug's face:

http://treebeard31.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/pug.jpg

You can see how each of these folds and wrinkles would move with different expressions. The fold of flesh over his muzzle will lift and stretch with an open mouth. The wrinkles of his head will change with different expressions.
The wrinkles and folds of skin on your creature's face don't seem to 'make sense' like this wrinkly pug face does. I can't imagine how the wrinkles will move with different expressions. His nose and brow area are made up of a whole bunch of wrinkles and folds that don't seem to serve any purpose at all- they don't represent the wrinkles that would form after performing certain expressions (like a happy person developing smile lines, or a grumpy person forming frown lines).

I dunno, I can't seem to explain myself well. I hope that makes some sort of sense to you! I think that perhaps you need to put together a bunch of different references of the look you're going for and redesign this face a bit. I hope that helps!

Kanga
05-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I think it is a neat model.
The folds and wrinkles are still cosmetic, not real like the good dog pick above me. Old in characters means not only wrinkles and loose skin but also larger nose, ears and smaller eyes. Your character has a baby face look to it atm.

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2010, 01:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.