PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!

leigh
05-06-2010, 12:17 PM
We've decided to raise this old forum back out of the depths, to provide an area for artists who are serious about improving their work.

Artists are free to post 2D or 3D WIPs here, as well as showreels. Please note, however, that the word "critique" in this forum's title is the key here: this is not a forum for showing off, or looking for praise, or for spamming your work and then never coming back - threads like these will simply be moved to the other WIP forums. In this forum, everyone posting is expected to either be learning, or contributing constructive insight about work. No fanboy rubbish, no trolling, no portfolio spamming.

It's my hope that this forum will be of particular use to students, but of course everyone is more than welcome to post. We do recognise that due to the vast amount of work being posted every day in our other WIP forums, many people often miss the opportunity to receive solid feedback on their work, which can be very frustrating.

I'd also like to encourage everyone to critique work, regardless of their own skill level. If you feel you have some good ideas about a piece, post it! Don't be shy, even if you're just a beginner yourself.

Be sure to read through this guidelines thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=102&t=879286) before posting, and please take particular note of the fact that all posts in this forum require validation, which means there will be a short delay before your post appears. To raise the tone here to a professional and constructive level, you may also notice that smilies and post icons are disabled here.

I'm in the process of mustering together some moderators to lend a hand with regular contributions here, to ensure that people get the feedback they're looking for.

elmoooo
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
good stuff
go critique my work now people haahahah:P

theglenster
05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
excellent!.

mirrored
05-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Excellent Leigh, i hope to post a 3d project i am beginning right now.

Question, 2D and 3D works need to be post, on the 2D side, can we post non digital concept art, like pencil renderings (renderings, not sketches) and practical sculpts?.

I know is another forum out there for this kind of stuff, but i am interested in the Hardcore part of this forum.

c-ya.

MightyReg
05-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Sounds great, I find a good critic much more valuable then a simple ''good work''. Might throw in a future personnal project of mine next month!

D-e-W
05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Right on! Ill make sure to stick around

olbc
05-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Outstanding Idea! Why did you stop doing it in the past though? :-S

JaredTaylor
05-06-2010, 02:36 PM
I can't post my story idea here for critique, can I?

MasterErroSennin
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
This is great! It will be a real motivation for me and other people to get some real critique.
I will be posting more often now I think

TJunkers
05-06-2010, 02:54 PM
This is fantastic! But just remember saying, "that sucks." is not criticism. Give reasons why and even, if possible, ways to fix it!

grantmoore3d
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Awesome! Nothing is more frustrating than looking for critiques and not getting responses. Look forward to seeing how this section pans out.

guru-work
05-06-2010, 03:29 PM
thanks leigh

Mahlikus
05-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Good to hear for those who can take it.
Nice! Thanks!

blacknoise
05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
finally! excellent idea, im all for it.

scrimski
05-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Not that I'm against this(constructive crits and the like), but why does that requires a different forum for WIPs? Shouldn't this be the norm on a forum for professionals?
Is it now like one real WIP and a show-off WIP?
Why not only one moderated WIP forum?
What's next? A gallery for posting moderated usefull critique and a "u great, good luck^^!!111" gallery for the rest(see this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=195041) guy with 1k+ post like this)?

Why not just kick out the fluff?

leigh
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Question, 2D and 3D works need to be post, on the 2D side, can we post non digital concept art, like pencil renderings (renderings, not sketches) and practical sculpts?.

To be honest, I'd prefer for people to stick with digital art, since that's what this forum is all about. If you're doing pencil sketches as prep for digital paintings, then they're relevant so that's fine, but posting pencil sketches and asking for critiques on those would outside of the realm of this, I think.

leigh
05-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Not that I'm against this(constructive crits and the like), but why does that requires a different forum for WIPs? Shouldn't this be the norm on a forum for professionals?
What's next? A gallery for posting moderated usefull critique and a "u great, good luck^^!!111" gallery for the rest(see this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=195041) guy with 1k+ post like this)?

Not everyone posts WIPs for critique. This is a fact. I've seen numerous WIP threads in the WIP forums where the artist is simply posting their casual projects and are not looking for critique, or, in some cases, actually dig in their heels and argue until they're blue in the face if anyone dares to critique them. There was a particularly bad example of this recently (I'm not naming any names though), where someone was so stubborn and rude to the responses in the thread, when the WIP actually looked terrible. He wasted a lot of people's time, when they could have been rather responding to threads where the artist would actually be receptive to their efforts. On the other end of the spectrum, you get a lot of professionals or talented amateurs posting WIPs where they don't really need any advice, and are simply posting their progress for interest's sake.

And weeding out the fluff is not really possible because sadly there is simply far too much of it.

This forum is for people who need critique. Unfortunately these needy threads are all too often lost in the busy traffic of the other WIP forums, which are crowded with quite a lot of the above examples. Having a dedicated critique forum will hopefully provide a platform for people to more easily gain feedback on their work, when they really need it. I know for a fact that many people are put off posting WIPs on this site because they feel intimidated by the amount of other threads and the skill of some of the artists here. This forum is more of a level playing field, and it's aimed primarily at helping artists to improve.

We actually had this forum for quite a long time in the past. I don't recall offhand the exact reasons why we retired it, but it did work out pretty well before. I hope to see it flourish again.

Tasp
05-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm interested to see this forum in action, especially for when I try to get back into digital art. I often have a lot of opinions about peoples work, but being a beginner I don't feel like I have any right to offer up critique. Also I'd really enjoy some "hardcore" criticism, as trying to teach myself will only get me so far without outside input.

Pan3sar
05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
So in this part of the forum I can post critique without worrying about the artist going bonkers on my ass. Harsh Crits are far better for improvement, and its nice to have a section where you can post freely and not try and judge character. At least that's what i think the theory behind this is?

KMcNamara
05-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Great idea. I looks forward to making use of this new section!

RockinAkin
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Awesome. Glad to see this back.

mirrored
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Ok, thanks. Let´s do digital then.

ha-dou-ken
05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm all for this. I love CGTALK because they tell you the real deal. You suck, or you don't but either way, it's OK. I like that most people here carry the attitude that we're all students. I'm all for hardcore critiques. I've been known to be TOO direct at times, but if you're serious about improving, i feel you need to hear real talk, not ego lifters.

CJ3D
05-06-2010, 06:06 PM
So if I wanted a critique of my work in progress reel and also the models on it, then would I post a separate thread for each model (four in total), and then a separate thread for my reel, or should I keep it all in one thread and then just post a few images for each model? Thanks.

CJ

LinchpinZA
05-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks Leigh,
After I finished my first cg workshop last year I missed the solid critique and quick feedback everyone recieved in the workshops more 'classroom' like environment of a forum, with everyone helping eachother out and getting straight to the point. I really hope this works out and maintains a similar more focused critique section.

Chris.

zokana
05-06-2010, 11:13 PM

Glad to see at least someone having a critical opinion about this new forum. I agree with that 200%!

I’ve noticed the problem at the regular WIP forum as well, mostly at threads posted by some popular professionals.

So being a dilettante myself, i’ll stay with my WIPs at the regular WIP forum, leaving this new forum for the elite.

urgaffel
05-07-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm all for this. I love CGTALK because they tell you the real deal. You suck, or you don't but either way, it's OK. I like that most people here carry the attitude that we're all students. I'm all for hardcore critiques. I've been known to be TOO direct at times, but if you're serious about improving, i feel you need to hear real talk, not ego lifters.

Being honest and direct is fine but keep it polite :)

joecyriac
05-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Great idea. Really looking forward to this. With some effort from the community this can be a really great forum.

douvil
05-07-2010, 03:42 AM
I remember having post what I thought was a constructive criticism to one guy on the gallery. Being well aware that I was not at the top of my art myself, I bothered to mention it was only an opinion. He obviously was a beginner in drawing (or at photoshop) and that was not what I was critical about. But taking into account its capabilities, I mentioned to him that his design was clearly not finished (with lots of details and effort on an particular object (gun or something…) and no polishing of is main centered character). I just thought he could have push is work further before posting it, no matter what degree of talent he had.

I got BASH so bad by the forum community afterwards. In fact, none of my post ever had so many replies. I've never given any constructive feedback after that. When I like, I would only post a smiley.
This forum will be a good thing.

Hooch
05-07-2010, 05:33 AM
And weeding out the fluff is not really possible because sadly there is simply far too much of it.
Amen to that.

And now that I'm really into digital painting, I'll see if I can put some WIP for real help.

Great idea to bring this one back Leigh.

Cheers!

=LuxX=
05-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I would realy love some crits from ppl who are more experianced then all the ppl in this office.
Since i work in the Offshore buisness ( isntalling oil rigs at sea) its hard to get some good crits.
Everything i make they like. But i still want to improve.. I know i can at a LOT of points.
so crits of some fellow artist would e helpfull ..
But I am wondering, imagine i show you guys a picture and you say you need better lighting to get a better mood. Do i also get to hear how to do it with some hints or tricks or is it only giving crits?

looking forward to this :)

gustavotorqueto
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
You told that a forum like this has been made before, but they didn´t work well. Maybe should we talk about what didn´t work well and how to prevent it from happen again, or the new rules is made as a way to prevent it?!

SoLiTuDe
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
You told that a forum like this has been made before, but they didn´t work well. Maybe should we talk about what didn´t work well and how to prevent it from happen again, or the new rules is made as a way to prevent it?!

DID... not didn't.

We actually had this forum for quite a long time in the past. I don't recall offhand the exact reasons why we retired it, but it did work out pretty well before. I hope to see it flourish again.

leigh
05-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Glad to see at least someone having a critical opinion about this new forum. I agree with that 200%!

I’ve noticed the problem at the regular WIP forum as well, mostly at threads posted by some popular professionals.

So being a dilettante myself, i’ll stay with my WIPs at the regular WIP forum, leaving this new forum for the elite.

You seem to have missed the entire point of this forum.

IGhosTDoGI
05-07-2010, 07:54 PM
...a slightly striking sum:

this forum = real w.i.p
w.i.p forum = marketing, fishing for compliments,showcase gallery
showcase gallery = my art is law, shut the f. up

???

i dont know, but the entire thing suggests, that there is a superior and common structural issue with
this forum and it's more like dislocating these issues, than getting rid of them on the root level.

leigh
05-07-2010, 08:02 PM
it's more like dislocating these issues, than getting rid of them on the root level.

How would you suggest we deal with the rampant fanboyism and egos elsewhere? None of us have the time nor inclination to wade through the hundreds and hundreds of posts in the other forums every single day to weed out out the fluff, nor can we change the minds of those who come here solely to post fanboy comments, or to show off. There's also a large middleground of people who post work simply for interest's sake, and not for boosting their egos or specifically looking for critique either.

Now, perhaps you don't go to the WIP forum much. I would recommend you go have a look there to see for yourself - lots of people post work which looks pretty bad, and all they get, if they get any reply at all, is a "that looks cool, bro". This does more harm than good. Lots more don't even get any response, when they really need it.

It never ceases to amaze me how no matter what we do on this site, there will be a handful of people who somehow find something to complain about. If you don't like this forum, don't post it in. Pretend it isn't there or something, it's not hard. Or perhaps you can look at this from our perspective, and from the perspective of those who are learning and are desperate for feedback, and you can appreciate this forum for what it is.

JWRodegher
05-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Well, I gotta say, so far so good. Crits are great and the attitude of those who recieve the crits is very mature and humble. I really wish it keeps like this.

I have one thing to say though, the fact that every post needs to be revised by admins to be posted makes the section a bit slow. I don´t know what an alternative for this could be, and I understand perfectly the need to do this.

So thanks for opening this, I´ll post something soon I hope.

leigh
05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Agreed, the moderation thing is proving more work than I thought it'd be. I'm considering switching to only moderating new threads as opposed to all the posts as well.

JWRodegher
05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Agreed, the moderation thing is proving more work than I thought it'd be.

Somehow that´s a good thing actually, means that the activity is kinda healthy.

Maybe moderating only new threads would speed things up a bit, and if any threads goes out of hand you could always go back to mod every post.

I apreciate the work you´re putting into this.

Jonnhy

WanderersLane
05-07-2010, 10:54 PM
This is fantastic! Some of my best friends in the art world are people who didn't hold back punches (as it were) when it came to critiquing my work. The result? I improved more in a one year period of receiving those critiques than I did in the 5 years previous when all I got was "WOW <3 NICE LUV IT!"

As for the moderation issue, is there a way that forum members can flag a post as being unsuitable (or unsuitable for this new forum) for moderators to review? That way, members could alert the moderators as to what needs to be looked over, instead of the moderators having to filter every single thing that goes on. I know there's the standard report post option, but is there a way to flag a post separate to this function?

ganzo
05-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Pure awesomeness...congrats to all the staff. This will definitely pay off for those who are serious about it. I know I will.

Zyandric
05-08-2010, 01:54 AM
Now, perhaps you don't go to the WIP forum much. I would recommend you go have a look there to see for yourself - lots of people post work which looks pretty bad, and all they get, if they get any reply at all, is a "that looks cool, bro". This does more harm than good. Lots more don't even get any response, when they really need it.
I could not agree more. I honestly think this is a very good idea.

mister3d
05-08-2010, 03:20 AM
Simply moderating seems like a perfect solution. We can always report "fanboy" replies.
No smiles? Seems like a really serious forum! But... this is the best improvement I've seen in a while - an elegant forum without sugar pills. Not everybody will appreciate it, but for those who understand the point it's a very valuable, fresh and needed thing.

mahir
05-08-2010, 05:43 AM
I love this and look forward to participating in both giving and receiving.
I believe it not only helps the person being critiqued but also those who want to learn HOW to give critiques effectively (what to look out for, what works and why, how to relay it clearly to the other person etc.). A good learning experience for all!

mcscher
05-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Being honest and direct is fine but keep it polite :)

Thanks! That was my concern. If the critique turns out to be honest and direct but polite and constructive then I will be active in this forum.

I hope this doesn't turn into a bash-forum with someone trying to strenghten his/her own ego by devastating someone elses. I know to many people that do that...

IestynRoberts
05-08-2010, 11:29 AM
This is an awesome idea I think - a great step forward.

What about Animation Leigh? Or is this just for images?

ShinChanPu
05-08-2010, 12:50 PM
First, I'd like to thank Leigh her enormous dedication to CGTalk from the early days. We all know how much effort, energy, love and time you've put in this community. You are a real value here, and you know it.

Second, I want to share my personal impressions about what I think is the real matter in this debate: the lack of maturity. I don't want to go into the reasons-origins in depth here -which is an interesting issue itself- because this is not the place, but certainly I see how low the level of maturity (in the deepest meaning of the word) is coming to. I'm not really sure if what I see in this or other forums is the same phenomenon I notice every day in the mass media, the streets, the schools and even colleges or political circles, or simply the average age of the forum members is lowering that much.

Third, about the critiques, the egos... well, can we see people who EXHIBIT his works in public forums and expect no critiques (politely always, of course) as mature? Someone who shows or exhibit should always expect critiques and comments. The quality of the critiques, and how to accept/benefit from them, are aspects that everyone who expose has to deal with. Having said that in general, I think is simply ridiculous claiming a WIP thread without crits & comments (why show the progress of what you are doing then?)

Therefore, in my opinion there are two ways the forum can follow: adapting rules, guidelines and moderation to the average maturity level of the moment, or "fighting" to keep them or even try to increase the level if that is meant to have a more enriching forum. No need to say what would be the path I'd trace...

Of course, here is my personal point of wiew and I will enjoy any confrontation of ideas... as the mature forum member I'd like to be.

Regards.

mister3d
05-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks! That was my concern. If the critique turns out to be honest and direct but polite and constructive then I will be active in this forum.

I hope this doesn't turn into a bash-forum with someone trying to strenghten his/her own ego by devastating someone elses. I know to many people that do that...
Just a note: if I, for example, say that something looks horrible, I think it's fine, as in a professional environment your client can easily tell you the honest brutal truth and won't hesitate and will get straight to the point. Of course such a comment must be supported by some constructive critics. But this is just how it often happens, so people tell how they feel about the image. What do you think?

Kanga
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Life is too short to dance about trying to be diplomatic. It takes too much energy and it is a waste of time. Many artists miss really great advice because the poster just doesn't have the energy to reply in a loving manner. Many people posting work are still impressed with the fact that a cube has appeared in the viewport but refuse to follow basic tutorials on how to achieve simple results.

Indeed Disce aut Discede

Let the games begin.

jojo1975
05-08-2010, 04:33 PM
very good. I really like the initiative :)

mcscher
05-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Just a note: if I, for example, say that something looks horrible, I think it's fine, as in a professional environment your client can easily tell you the honest brutal truth and won't hesitate and will get straight to the point. Of course such a comment must be supported by some constructive critics. But this is just how it often happens, so people tell how they feel about the image. What do you think?

I think this new forum is a good idea, just to make myself clear.

If I post a WIP piece and you tell me "dude, this looks like crap", I will most likely not like you for this comment for several reasons.

a) you could have said " dude this does not look good" same meaning but way politer/respectfull.
b) you could have given a reason why you think so. This would help me understand and evaluate your critique better. Premature kids critisise without giving reason or solutions.
c) you could have given a solution to a problem or tell me what to do to make it look better = constructive critisism.

So if you tell me "dude, your work does not look good because ... and you should try ... to make it look as if ... (fill in words of your choice for "..."). If I'd get a critique like this from you I'd might not feel happy about it but the next day, after a good nights sleep, read through your critique and say to myself "Hell yeah, that dude is right! My work really sucks because I didn't think of this stuff he told me." So after editing/refining my work I will most likely be happy that you gave me your critique.

What I ment in my earlier post though was something different. I have met people that try to tell everyone certain things are not possible just because they themselves didn't succeed in doing them. Others try to tell you your piece of work is crap just because they had a bad day and feel better when they give devastating critique and make someone else feel miserable. Some very nice people even tell you you are too stupid for this work... I hate those people and try to avoid meeting them whenever I can.

And as for clients, they pay for your work and therefore have the right to be absolutely direct. If any client becomes personal though, meaning telling me I'm too stupid to do things right, then I will not work for that client in the future. More often than not clients tell you they don't like your idea and have no friggin' clue about why or how they actually want the work they pay you for be delivered . Then you'll hear "YOU are the creative and YOU have all the freedom so come up with something creative/impressive..." and give not further direction. If this happens in a "hardcore critique forum" then it is useless in my oppinion.

Life is too short to dance about trying to be diplomatic. It takes too much energy and it is a waste of time. Many artists miss really great advice because the poster just doesn't have the energy to reply in a loving manner I completelly disagree. Diplomatic doesn't necessarily mean to tell someone his work sucks with a whole lot of fancy sounding BS just not to upset him. Whe are no politicians... Diplomatic can be telling someone the blunt trouth but in a way so he doesn't feel miserable. If anyone thinks it is a waste of time being polite they might think twice about posting in the first flace. If the poster doesn't have enough time for a proper critique he/she should wait giving it then until there is more time.

jm2c

gustavotorqueto
05-08-2010, 05:47 PM
DID... not didn't.

Ops.. Sorry =D

archtype187
05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
awesome i cant wait to start posting my projects, im an aspiring 3D artist who eventually wants to become a character modeler or concept artist in the video game industry. So this forum will probably become absolutely crucial for me in developing and growing my skills. Don't pull any punches when I start posting =)

Ferretking186
05-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I am happy to see this forum, and love the idea behind it. Though, would it it be possible to add a tag designating 2d or 3d art for each post? Would be nice for those of us who are focused in one or the other.

AndersStensgaard
05-08-2010, 07:45 PM
First og all… Nice forum! I haven’t posted any WIP's yet, but now I definitely will.

But how long is the normal waiting period for newly posted threads? I posted one yesterday, and it’s not showing yet.. I’m starting to think I did something wrong …

Cheers,

Wongedan
05-08-2010, 08:32 PM
hehe this is good

the reason i want crit not only because my work is unfinished
but some of my work consider a finished piece, but it seems that i need some
critique to understand what mistakes that need to avoid in future works.

while in finished gallery ppl are hesitate to give intense constructive critique. (including me).

so i guess this section can be a good place to have that.

leigh
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
First og all… Nice forum! I haven’t posted any WIP's yet, but now I definitely will.

But how long is the normal waiting period for newly posted threads? I posted one yesterday, and it’s not showing yet.. I’m starting to think I did something wrong …

Cheers,

I check the post validation every couple of hours; so do some of the other mods. If your post isn't here now, you must have done something wrong. Please double check the requirements thread stuck in this forum to ensure that your thread meets all the guidelines before posting.

leigh
05-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I am happy to see this forum, and love the idea behind it. Though, would it it be possible to add a tag designating 2d or 3d art for each post? Would be nice for those of us who are focused in one or the other.

Unfortunately I doubt our tech goblins have the time or resources to implement something like this right now. Hopefully people's thread titles will be descriptive enough.

Bergquist
05-09-2010, 02:34 AM

imho, This is the biggest issue and best reason for this forum!

I try my hardest to notice all the new threads in the 3D Still WIP forum, and to critique as many of the posts that I can that involve beginners or people who truly need the help...
But it is difficult...
not too many people have this mindset, and too many of threads that really need the feedback go by the waste side.

Thank you L for starting this forum back up, and I hope it goes well!
Cheers!

mister3d
05-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Mcscher, you made a good point. But the reality is not always like this. Though, maybe you're right and we should be as polite as possible?

robcat2075
05-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Crits that merely make a judgment of quality are of little worth.

The useful crits are the ones that answer the question "how do I improve this?". It's exceedingly rare that I see those around here. I'm wondering how this new crit forum is going to attract useful crits anymore than others?

Kanga
05-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Crits that merely make a judgment of quality are of little worth.

The useful crits are the ones that answer the question "how do I improve this?". It's exceedingly rare that I see those around here. I'm wondering how this new crit forum is going to attract useful crits anymore than others?Post your work here and we shall see. I am seeing a lot of very good advice being handed out by members, and posters listening. So far, so good!

urgaffel
05-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Mcscher, you made a good point. But the reality is not always like this. Though, maybe you're right and we should be as polite as possible?

To quote Will Wheaton: Don't Be A Dick.

You don't have to be overly polite about things but be respectful and be constructive. If you are, then there's no reason for the other person to be angered by what you say.

Always back your points up with a well reasoned, constructive advice and everyone will hopefully be happy bunnies.

Fatarion
05-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Not to judge anyone but there are 5 pages on this thread, many people "fighting" about what a critique should be about but almost no work to critique....

Kanga
05-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Not to judge anyone but there are 5 pages on this thread, many people "fighting" about what a critique should be about but almost no work to critique....
Go to the top of the page here and click the link Work In Progress: Focused Critiques (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=102) and a whole page of projects shall appear.

I really cant imagine what kind of service some of you are used to, but what I see here already is a very high level of participation. One poster even offered to send a deci version of a very good bust to someone he doesnt even know for study purposes! Now if that isn't community spirit then you lost me.

The crits I am seeing (from experienced and less experienced alike) are also 'right on' and quite lengthy. Its only been a couple of days and this thing is already working, well, with you, or without you.

To all those taking part here in whatever capacity, well done!

Greendog76
05-10-2010, 04:02 PM
This is awesome! It would be great to get other people's opinions when I practice my modeling. I may even get a little advice!

Nysuatro
05-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Is it posiible to send a exitsing topic to this hardcore wip ?
Or do I have to repost the whole thing :s

Thanks for this initiative. This is what I really can use.

leigh
05-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Is it posiible to send a exitsing topic to this hardcore wip ?
Or do I have to repost the whole thing :s

Thanks for this initiative. This is what I really can use.

Yup. PM me a link to the thread.

RHedendahl
05-11-2010, 04:56 AM
How long will it take for you to look at and post the threads? Posted mine Saturday I think, and it hasn't come up yet. Or did I do anything wrong with that post?

Bergquist
05-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey Kirgan,
Here was a reply by Leigh for a very similar question.

I check the post validation every couple of hours; so do some of the other mods. If your post isn't here now, you must have done something wrong. Please double check the requirements thread stuck in this forum to ensure that your thread meets all the guidelines before posting.

Hope it helps, Cheers

WyattHarris
05-12-2010, 07:06 PM
The focused critique forum was actually my initial introduction to CGTalk. An online friend suggested it to me (Thanks Bleed, if your out there) and I remember coming here and reading the critiques thinking, "Wow, these guys mean business." It's a little intimidating at first but jump right in, don't be thin-skinned and you should do fine.

Kanga
05-12-2010, 10:32 PM
WOOT off to page 2, ha ha!

abbeytermeer
05-17-2010, 03:46 PM
i posted one which i know got denied after reading the guidelines. However, i posted another and it has yet to show up. I don't think I did anything wrong, it falls under the guidelines.

thanks for your help!

Kanga
06-02-2010, 11:59 AM
If your post contains no images it wont get through. If you post a sketch that simply is not far along enough for members to crit then it will be moved to the normal wip forums. Keep working on your stuff and try again here when it is further along.

So far I have been very surprised at the high quality of comments from experienced, and less experienced members alike.
Well done all.

slippereend
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
hi there,
i'm new to this forum, and i tried to post a thread in this section (WIP: focused critiques)
and now i'm wondering how much time it takes for it to appear?

I believe i did follow the rules of this section appropriately?

Kanga
07-06-2010, 06:32 PM
hi there,
i'm new to this forum, and i tried to post a thread in this section (WIP: focused critiques)
and now i'm wondering how much time it takes for it to appear?

I believe i did follow the rules of this section appropriately?
If you included images in your post, and your work is far enough along that there is something to crit it will appear. If it doesn't appear here it will appear in the standard wip section.

RasoulValli
01-26-2011, 07:48 AM
nice. i lovethis thread and i hope to improve my skills by this usefull area.

Alan-Japp
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time using the forums.

Was just wondering i posted a new thread in this particular area and it doesn't seem to have appeared. I didn't want to try and re-post it and get accused of spamming. Just wondering if i maybe haven't done to allow my thread to be shown or is it possible its still waiting verification?

Thanks

Alan

Kanga
03-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Hello Alan.

Your thread might not appear here if the work isn't far enough ahead to give a focused crit. If that is the case then the thread will appear in the standard wip section, 2d or 3d whichever applies.

Cheers

Alan-Japp
03-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Hey Kanga,

Yeah its appeared now. Thanks!

FoxHound1984
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone!

Tried to post a thread earlier this morning and was hoping to see it :P Don't see it in there still though :(

How long does the approval process approx. take?

FoxHound1984
08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Apparently more than 26 hours...lol :P

EDIT: Thanks for posting! :)

Kanga
08-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Apparently more than 26 hours...lol :P

EDIT: Thanks for posting! :)

There ya go.

ryansumo
09-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time using the forums.

Was just wondering i posted a new thread in this particular area and it doesn't seem to have appeared. I didn't want to try and re-post it and get accused of spamming. Just wondering if i maybe haven't done to allow my thread to be shown or is it possible its still waiting verification?

Thanks

Alan

Hmm, I'm having the same issue as well. Don't see the post I made either here or in the regular WIP section so I feel a little left in the dark.

thundering1
12-20-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm trying to finish FX for a short, and would LOVE some honest and brutal advice (it's not gonna get any better if it's sugarcoated like my friends give me). Matte paintings, greenscreen comps, 3D animation (VERY basic!), 2D compositing, etc.

I've got a LOT of work to do and I'm learning as I go (relatively speaking).

Would THIS be the forum to post in, and how might I overcome it being a link (instead of just stills) to either download a clip or see on somewhere like YT or Vimeo?

OR - would it be better if I posted in Animations or something?

-Lew

Kanga
12-20-2011, 04:53 AM
I'm trying to finish FX for a short, and would LOVE some honest and brutal advice (it's not gonna get any better if it's sugarcoated like my friends give me). Matte paintings, greenscreen comps, 3D animation (VERY basic!), 2D compositing, etc.

I've got a LOT of work to do and I'm learning as I go (relatively speaking).

Would THIS be the forum to post in, and how might I overcome it being a link (instead of just stills) to either download a clip or see on somewhere like YT or Vimeo?

OR - would it be better if I posted in Animations or something?

-Lew
Yes just post a new topic in this forum (not in this thread).
Sure you can paste a youtube/vimeo or whatever link to your work in your post. The more information you supply members here the more chance you will have of better crits so support images are always a plus if they help make things clearer.

Cheers

Dirtvic
02-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Hello Everyone..

Here is my latest wip of a 3d still doing these days.
Female Model is downloaded from Net.

My goal is to achieve realistic skin with shading and texturing. I am using misss_fast_skin_maya....with Diffuse, Epidermal ,Subdermal ,specular and a bump map...
The problem is i can't achieve a soft and realistic look....

Software:- Autodesk Maya

Lasphere
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
So I know this has been asked over and over and over. But its now been over a week since I posted a picture to this forum. How long is it going to take before it appears? Even a 'your submission has been declined' message would be nice at this point.
I need feedbaaack! ;)

Kanga
08-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi Lasphere

Nope you dont have to get approval to post images in a post. The image will get pulled if it is obscene but mostly there is something wrong with the url people use.

Go here: Posting Images! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=102&t=1003739) After you preview the post you should see your image straight away.

Cheers

Lasphere
08-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi Kanga
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I explained myself badly. What I meant was:
When will my post (in the Focused Critique forum) appear? ;) I posted a WIP thread sometime last week, but I haven't seen it in either WIP-forums.
Cheers. :)

Kanga
08-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Aaaaawwww sorry, my mistake. I forgot submissions are modded. Just read the sticky about what gets posted. My guess is your explanation was too brief or there was not enough info.

Its this sticky Forum Guidelines - please read before posting (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=102&t=879286)
Just adjust your post and submit it again.

Kanga
08-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Ah DushyantArT put this post in a thread of its own as this is the welcome thread just go back to the main focused crit forum, hit new thread and put this content there. When you have done that I will delete this post here.

Hello Everyone..

Here is my latest wip of a 3d still doing these days.
Female Model is downloaded from Net.

My goal is to achieve realistic skin with shading and texturing. I am using misss_fast_skin_maya....with Diffuse, Epidermal ,Subdermal ,specular and a bump map...
The problem is i can't achieve a soft and realistic look....

Software:- Autodesk Maya

danieltkd
09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
could teach someone how to make a theme and show a job and that I can not do it for the echo point qu eno let me upload an image larger than 96 kb if estoi doing something wrong please tell me

JoeAstor
10-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Good idea! Tips and critique at the appropriate level from other users can be valuable.

jister
10-24-2012, 04:44 AM
just wondering, made a thread here yesterday... does it take that long or did something just went wrong?

Kanga
10-24-2012, 04:54 AM
jister, all threads here are moderated to ensure they have enough info so that members can give the best crits. Sometimes it can take a couple of days. If there are things like no images or no description then the threads don't get through.

jister
10-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Ah ok couple of days it is, thanks kanga.

adecoy95
06-07-2013, 07:28 AM
is it ok for me to post in the critique forums if i am very very new to modeling?

Kanga
06-08-2013, 09:00 AM
is it ok for me to post in the critique forums if i am very very new to modeling?
Hell yeah!

Members post here for hard crits. Every new pair of eyes are more than welcome. If people dont like your help then just move on and help someone else.

rbfalconi
09-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone, I´m a Digital Matte Painter that´s trying to break into the film industry.
I hope I can contribute with some good critiques and get nice feedback from you.

Thanks!

Kanga
09-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Hi rbfalconi
Youshould post this in the wip section, this is a welcome thread. On the first page of this part of the forum there is a button for starting a new thread, push that.

Also your film seems to be password protected so no one can see it.
Cheers

rbfalconi
09-14-2013, 02:23 AM
sorry Kanga, can I delete a post in here?
I used the last one as a "welcome" btw :)

Kanga
09-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Nah its good, Just put a post in the wip area with a working link to the reel you wanted a crit on.

Welcome btw!
Cheerio