PDA

View Full Version : VolumeCurve/ Fluid

el patator
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi guys,

I have to make a cigarette smoke in cg, but i want the smoke to follow a thin line and then become very cloudy..

Is it possible to use The volumeCurve Field with maya Fluid, or is there another way to guide the fluid smoke a little?

S.
thanks

Aikiman
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
You could use the curve flow effect and have particles follow the curve. If you are using 2011 you could then emit fluid from the particles. If you dont then you could instead write some code to achieve the same thing.

If you are no good with code maybe you could animate the growth of your curve in PaintFX and just emit fluid from the curve.

Duncan
05-06-2010, 11:40 PM
You can use a curve field to guide the fluid although be aware that the fluid solves for incompressibility which may fight the velocity from the curve. As well the curve continually adds velocity as a force, so you might need a little damp to counter its velocity.

I've attached a Maya2011 scene you might find useful. It has some fluid smoke exactly follow a curve field. The solver quality is set zero so there is no incompressibility computation and the new forward prop method is used, which allows the fluid to concentrate( the standard backprop method can only diffuse, not concentrate). The damp is also high so the fluid more closely follows the curve flow. There is also some turbulence on the curve volumeAxisField to make it more interesting. The curve radius is larger at the end so that the alongAxis force pushes the smoke apart.

Basically in Maya2011 one can use forward prop with solver quality = 0 to have fluids pushed around by fields the same way particles are. The damp on the fluid is a bit like 1.0-conserve on the particles.

Note that you lose interesting vortex detail and such caused by the incompressibility, however. One can get something in the middle by having solver quality of 1 or 2(make sure to have high detail off... high detail will have a lot of incompressibility even at a quality setting of 1).

Duncan

Duncan
05-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Another technique if you are using 2011 would be to emit particles push them with a curve field then emit from them into a fluid that has high density dissipation.
Duncan

el patator
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Thank you very much,
your solver quality trick seems to work very fine!
i'll test something this way..

it's look like 2011's Fluid have been improved....i'll take a look at it..

Thanks guys
Seb

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.