PDA

View Full Version : the interface...

og_reborn
09-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Well I've been using after affects for a little while now, but I am just now doing my first big project with 3d layers. I have to say that working with the 3d layers in after effects just.....sucks.

The camera tools suck. the transform tools suck.
My work-speed has dropped significantly lower on this project than any I've ever done before.

I know 3d layers in after effects are relatively new, so I figure that they're still working on a better interface for 3d layers.

But, before I dismiss the whole issue that way and continue this agonizing project, I was wondering if any of you wonderful people can tell me if there are any ways to speed up working with the 3d views and stuff?

I am working with a wireframe view, and just moving something across the viewport or panning the camera is a HUGE CHORE. I have to drag my mouse across the screen 10 times to move anything one inch... and the refresh rate (even in wireframe is TERRIBLE)

Anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

gmask
09-12-2003, 11:05 PM
What version are you using? Does your video card accelerate OpenGL?

Strides were made in 6 to make the speed much faster. You can also hold the shift key while transforming a layer and it will make the travel distance go much further.

og_reborn
09-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Thanks, Gmask for the speedy response. I'm using After effects 5.5. Hopefully we'll have 6 at work soon. :)

Yes, my card does have open GL, but I don't really know graphics cards that well so I don't know if there are any settings I should maybe change... I have a quadro 4 750XGL.

Thanks for the Shift suggestion. That's helping with transforms. If there's anything like that for the camera tools, that would be cool.

Thanks again

arvid
09-13-2003, 02:18 PM
With ae6 and a decent ogl card, things are a lot faster, but the interface still sucks I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Flywaver
09-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by opacity
With ae6 and a decent ogl card, things are a lot faster, but the interface still sucks I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Yup! Got my Video Collection Pro friday and I noticed the only difference so far is the new tools palette...other than that it's still quite basic and dull; would have been nice to streamline it a bit like Premiere which really shines compared to 6.5! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.