PDA

View Full Version : Help with fully articulated steam limb

Jeanelize
05-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi
Im hoping someone can help me. I would like to build a hand that looks like its made out of steam. Ideally it would be a hand made out of geometry thats rigged the normal way and then having particles/fluids emitted from the the surface.. im not really sure. Id like the wispy look of cigarrete smoke but instead of it being a random billow, it must be in the shape of a hand.

I havent worked with dynamics before so i'd appreciate any help or nudge in the right direction

Thank you in advance!

particlefx
05-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi,
You can achieve this effect using Maya fluids and Fumefx for max.

You can emit fluids from hand geometry.
If you have maya 2011, you can use texture for fluid emission.

But getting the cigarette smoke look is hard.

You can achieve it easily in Fumefx.

prakash.K

Wick3dParticle
05-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi Jali,

Another approach would be to use fluid shaded particles goaled to the the target geometry. Then create some custom attributes linked to the fluid shader for randomization.

Good luck,

~Ilan

mandark1011
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
considering that you haven't worked with dynamics before, fluids would be a large learning curve...might i suggest that you try to get the look your after by using a series of geometries and animated shaders? then once you've gotten the look make a sprite rig for the thin twisty cigarette smoke like pieces that leave the hand. Sprites are gpu light and easy to manipulate plus there is a ton of prebuilt or tutorials on setting up sprite smoke systems.

good luck

zres
05-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I think, you can use particle that connect with 3D container fluid , so your particle can have a goal and also act like fluid for wisphy effect. (use dynamic relationships editor to connect particle with 3d container )

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2010, 09:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.