PDA

View Full Version : Max Polymesh to Vue Terrain

scott-waddell
05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
My site terrain exists as a polymesh in Max, and i'd like to be able to paint mixed Vue materials onto it, because there are sandy and grassy areas that aren't based on altitude. Am I correct in thinking the only way to do this is to convert it to a Vue terrain via an image, then paint it in the terrain editor? I don't think I can paint different materials on an imported geometry in Vue, right?

Could someone help me out with creating a heightmap from Max, or point me to a tutorial? I'm trying to use the Render to Texture, selecting heightmap output, and I'm setting the min and max to bracket the heights of my geometry, but the geometry renders as all black on the grey background. (Edit: It seems like Max is flattening it, and actually, I noticed it added an 'Automatic Flatten UVs' modifier to it.)

(Also, is there any way to apply Vue materials to non-Vue objects while in Max?)
Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.