PDA

View Full Version : 2011: Broken Features?

EightBit
05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Is it me, or are these things broken in 2011:
Component Editor: Hide Zero Columns
Paint Weights Tool: RMB Select Joint ("Paint Weights")
Before I spend too much time trying to fix them, if someone could check these in their install, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

DariuszLacheta
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
yeap same here and more
paint skin weight in replace mode work like add!!! whyyyy!!

maya 2011 have sooo many bugs, so many scripts won't work anymore mainly because of QT, I want go back to good old 2009 but i can't now :/ and it's not my decision ;/
let's hope there is service pack on the way really soon ;/

musi
07-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Flood in vertex mode doesn't work ether... And I need it so badly!!! May be I am missing some setting somewhere?

oglu
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
hotfix 2..
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/maya2011_hotfix2_readme.pdf

BoostAbuse
07-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Don't mean to resurrect an old thread here but the Replace mode has always worked this way. If the influence is 100% and your Value is set to 1 and you try to Replace it's going to try to replace at a Value of 1. Been this way since artisan skin painting has been in Maya to my knowledge :)

As far as the flood vertex selection... seems to be working for me on my end.

PacManiac
08-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Here's a few new ones I found today that I haven't seen mentioned before:

- Custom background color doesn't get saved with your shelf, a restart shows them all as grey.

- Smooth skin weights crashes maya far too often.

- Sometimes deleting a key on x only in the graph editor deletes the z and y as well without them being selected.

Don't have a certain order of doing things to get the last two issues to happen for easy bug hunting, sorry. :(

kattkieru
08-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Even if bugs are only repeatable half of the time, if you can get something to repeat like that PLEASE send a bug report to Autodesk. Real human beings read them, and will add it to the pile of things to fix. The engineers there are much less likely to look at CGTalk forums for bug reports. :) A lot of the hotfix fixes only happened because people reported those issues through the proper channels.

Maya's a huge piece of software, and the developers aren't likely to be able to test each and every feature before a release.

PacManiac
08-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes you're right, I'm half being lazy cause I know some of the AD devs are reading this and half not too sure if things I can't replicate will actually be looked at. If I find something that I can replicate I'll report it for sure but there are many random things, the mentioned ones included, that I have no clue how to replicate.. :banghead:

Guess there's no real point mentioning them here anyway. :hmm:

kattkieru
08-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, I do like coming on CG Talk to see if other snare experiencing the same issues. I have terrible Maya karma (she and I started having a fight in 2003 and have never quite made up), so sometimes having validation that it's not just me and that I'm not insane is more valuable than anything. Naturally, the coworkers I sit next to at any job are the folks who never have any crashes.

But replicable bugs that aren't reported stay in the software. I'm just as bad as anyone about this-- there's a bug with in-between blend shapes where they completely disappear sometimes if you save a scene as Maya Binary. I went nuts tracking this down when I wrote a blendshape cacher last year; I was saving in Maya binary to save time. Works fine in Maya Ascii. But I haven't reported it because I can't find a perfect set of circumstances where it happens consistently-- seems like it breaks just under half the time. I've talked to a few people about this and they say it's been in Maya for many versions.

Another good one is that sometimes Maya will insert a bunch of disconnectAttr commands into a reference's list of edits for no reason. We're doing a show with a lot of set dressing and sometimes, you save your layout and 30 of one kind of prop will snap back to origin. Not all references of it, and not all props. If you unload the reference, clean disconnectAttr edits out of it's reference edits, the reload the reference it'll snap the back to where they're supposed to be.

Anyway, it's helpful for all of us to know where the problem areas are and to share and vent. :)

PacManiac
08-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah I've found Maya to be a very random piece of software.. we've had rigs that load in perfectly 95% of the time, but sometimes it just doesn't load and connect all controls. No idea why. I thought computers weren't supposed to be random? :)

I'm not surprised you've had blend shape problems... I won't list all my issues with it as my essay writing days are over. I haven't heard of that bug tho but I'll make sure I keep everything in ASCII for now, thanks.

I've bookmarked the AD bug report page so will try to be a good one and help out more.

Here's today's first bug find for kicks: Two mins ago I found that connecting item.rotate -> multiply -> joint.rotate makes the multiplier of 0.5 in my case be ignored. It's like the middle node doesn't exist. Connecting rotateX to multiply.input1X and then to joint.rotateX, then doing the same with Y and Z works just fine, but connecting the full vector just doesn't. Start a fresh scene and do the same and it's all fine and no problem.. guess I'll sit on that one then. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2010, 03:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.