PDA

View Full Version : Requiem shark in baitball

Raman
05-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

I modelled a requiem shark quite a while ago, but I wasn't happy with it. Figure this is as good an excuse to redo it as any.

I will be aiming for the image that inspired me to do marine art in the first place: Requiem sharks in the sardine run, taken by Doug Perrine.

http://moldychum.typepad.com/moldy_chum/images/2008/11/11/sharkbaitball.jpg

My goal is to exceed the quality of my current work. Here are some examples that will hopefully be useful to someone as reference.

I suppose I'll be aiming for a category II entry.

Raman
05-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Here's the first basemesh. A couple of hours in. Texture is a max gradient ramp and multi-sub material for the eye. I find it helps me to see where I need to work more and what will pass muster. I'll fix gills and nostrils next.

TheRazorsEdge
05-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't mean to rain on your parade and I hate to be the ass that points it out, but redoing an old mesh is not really the idea of this challenge, unless you are starting all over again from scratch. The rules specifically state to do the latter. Maybe you are doing just that, but your description is quite ambiguous in that aspect. Perhaps doing something else might help others believe you are in compliance of the general guidelines .

Nice work though!

Cheers!

Raman
05-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Sorry about the ambiguity! I am of course making the mesh from scratch.

Here's the old mesh and the new compared.

As you can see, I have improved a bit the last two years. :-)

As for a modelling update, I am done with the nostrils but the gills need another half hour or so.

Raman
05-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Small update and a posing test. Main mesh sculpt is just about done. I have a posing rig and a quick texture. Next up: Sculpting details. I may start on the baitfish first, though.

TiMrozek
05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Great start on the base, Proportions look pretty perfect. Lookin forward to seeing you detail. Also, thanks for the tips on the Sperm Whale. I haven't really done much research into them until I started this challenge so it helps.

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.