PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU do it?

CGtragedy
05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Want to get some ideas from others.
How would YOU create a burning paper effect with Maya dynamics? So that the paper seems to be eaten away from the middle.

(Need to get the creative juices flowing)

coccosoids
05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I would fire up my Visor, and middle mouse drag the "Burning paper" example file into my scene...

Ba-doom-tschschschschsss...

aghawa
05-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Throwing ideas:

-Setup a texture emitter for fluids, then use animated ramp to emit fluid from your paper.
-Use that texture (maybe inverted) to set the transparency of your paper shader.

-----------------

-Create animated ramp and plug that into your paper shader, then create a particle emitter that sticks on the surface and emits based on the texture, so you'll slowly cover your entire paper surface with particles. Then use those to drive the fire fluid (or any other effect you want to, you could also born particles from the ones created on the surface then shade them with cloud shader), and, as stated before, use the same ramp to set the transparency of the shader

----------------

-Use nCloth. Transform your paper into ncloth and make it tearable, then use a force to push them around, and do something like "if velocity is > NUMBER, shrink the size", so your paper pieces will start to fly around and then will shrink until their scale is 0 (then you can also delete them). And since you know which pieces are moving, you can make those emit fluid.

---------------

Those are the things that came in mind now...all of 3 require MEL coding anyway, but here you go.

Let us know!

EDIT: COCCOSOIDS: LOL! Didn't see that example XD

CGtragedy
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah I'm actually doing a bit of both aghawa. Animating 4 different ramps on the hierarchy. I'm getting a funky bump because I am using the animated texture to control another ramp that is black and white to control the alpha of the texture on the bump. For some reason it's giving me this bubble situation on the bump.

Lol coccosoids. That takes the fun out of it.

HowardM
05-04-2010, 04:47 PM
if you have 2011, you could do something like this...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=876156

if you need to have the paper dynamic, then yes do an ncloth version similar to this http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=866651 , combining Duncans scene to control what burns...

many ways, all depends on your shot and how long you have to do it...

CGtragedy
05-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Well see right now, I'm not able to load in the simpleFluidEmitter because of authentication issues. So I'm going to emit particles from texture then emit fluid from particles. I'm also driving the spread and "decay" of the paper with a radial ramp, using it as the color and alpha. (two different ramps controlled by a main ramp)

I'm having a problem though with the "folds" of the paper when it gets burned and turned to ashes. I've been trying to do an animated displacement map of the ramp seqeunce in a black/white, but it's just giving me a hill when rendered. Any suggestions on this?

moreffect
12-10-2010, 11:40 AM
keep in mind im burning cloth in random place ....
if im burning cloth with using ncloth method i.e. animated ramp attaching to transparency of shader and then applying shader to ncloth surface material , then emit particle from animated ramp texture which is also applied to transparency so we will get burning effect with particles or we can emit fluid from those particle.

then how to achieve some pieces of cloth falling down while burning ? is that possible with help of procedural texture map(animated ramp which is also applied to transparency ) which can be apply to glue strength or something so some cloth pieces will fall down ???

ginodauri
12-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I tried to do similar thing with folding paper, eating , burning etc and find that is really hard to do , especially folding part.

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2010, 05:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.