PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Cycle

JaredTaylor
05-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Here's a sneak cycle I made. We haven't learned animation at school yet so just going by what I figured out on my own. Will improve immensely with actual tuition I hope. The idea is he's sneaking up on his prey (which is kind of dumb because no one can really see death, but he likes to play the part I'm sure).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXcVz6AtB_A

Michael5188
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey there again Jared!

Ok so as far as the sneak goes, the first thing that stand out to me is the head. Delay it's rotation a bit so it's actually overlapping with the up down of the torso. This way the head doesn't rotate up in sync with the body going up, and down with the body going down. Delaying this rotation would add some drag to that head movement, and help make the animation feel more fluid.

Right now the general movement here feels even. Something you want to focus on, and I'm sure they're going to teach you in the class you're about to take, is pushing your animation as far as possible. Always push further. What I mean by this is, you are hitting an even, somewhat dull timing in this sneak. As far as sneaking goes, you can kind of think of the two extremes here.

One would be that really slow, drawn out, slinking fluid step type of sneak. You know the one, the character sticks his foot far out front and this slips forward.

The other, which this more closely resembles would be that quick, tip-toe type sneak.

Now I'm not by any means saying you need to conform to one of these, I'm just giving an example of two opposites in timing and posing. Slow and stretched out-- fast, jittery and hunched over. What you have is something kind of mixed between the two, nothing is really standing out, so it ends up feeling dull.

Another thing to think of is posing. His right hand is kind of creating a tangent with his head. What I mean is they are just barely touching, and so this breaks up a clear silhouette and looks awkward. His left hand is kind of doing it as well. Try to create strong shapes, strong posing for your characters, so that even looking at a still frame is pleasing to see.

Also watch out for the feet and knees somewhat popping at certain places. Try to clean up those arcs and bumps in the animation curves.

Anyways, good luck in your class, can't wait to see this sneak improve in time!

JaredTaylor
05-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks!

I'll do a new one in a few weeks time and see how much I've improved, I'm glad because now I have this one to compare it to. :)

Michael5188
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Definitely, it'll be motivational to see your improvement! You definitely have a good basic understanding of some principles, so I think you're going to have a good foundation moving into this class!

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.