PDA

View Full Version : Rigging-Problems: Grouping, parenting, constrains

avagoyamug
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey guys,

sorry for another beginners question, but Iím going nuts right now!

I attached my Rigg, so you can have a look yourself:
I try to group all the controlhandles, in order to parent-constrain them to my global control - but everytime I group the right_hand_control, it shoots of the the other side!

Where does that come from and how can I fix it?

Thanks a lot for any comment!

Regards,
Thilo

Edit: heres a dropbox-link to the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4360541/test.mb

jgibz
05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
try using the mel command:
createNode "transform";

this will create a node similar to the one created when you group objects. Then just move the new node to your desired location, freeze transforms, and integrate into the rig.

MrMint
05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
If you dont mind having a group-node under your MainControl you might just parent the group1-node under your mainControl. I guess the problem comes from the freezeTransformation you did on the group1.

Darksuit
05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Some Quick notes...
This is really a case of KIS (Keep It Simple). You have a lot of things going on here that are really not adding anything to the rig. When Rigging, I really take a look at each type of control that I add and ask myself is this really adding anything to the rig or is just there to show off bells and whistles.

If I was doing the rigging I would start with;

Deleting the Root Joint In your Rig and Rename the Joint2 to Root. The Current Root is Worthless and cultering the scene.

Group all your IKs under one group.

Foot, Hand and Hip Control Splines should be parented "p" under the Main Control.

I'd Remove the IK spine Spline. There is not enough joints to make this worth wild. For a simple Rig like this it would be much cleaner to animate and work with just using a couple FK controls.

Remove the Bones from the Reverse Foot setup and Replace with Spline Control Objects. Bones will still need to have controls anyways and it's just Clutering the scene.

Create a Hip Spline Control and Parent Both legs under that object then Parent that under the Root Control. This gives you a indipendantly rotating Hip Control that Doesn't effect your Spine.

Clavicle (Joint19, Joint11) would be reparented to the Chest or Joint3 in this case, I'd strip out the IK from here and Use a clean FK control Object.

The New Root Joint would be either in line with the Hips (Female rig) or above the Hips (Male Rig). This helps to give the illusion of a properly working pelvis.

And Last couple of things that are by far the most important.

NAME EVERYTHING.

This means Joint, IK handles, Controls, Proxy objects, Meshes. If its in your scene Name it. You should get into the habit now. I have seen people let go from jobs because they failed this very simple task.

DELETE HISTROY AND FREEZE TRANSFORMS.

You should get into the habit of Deleting the History on an object, Parenting a controller, freeze the tranforms to clean it out. This save soo much time hassle and problems in the long run.

avagoyamug
05-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the huge reply! I'm gonna remember it for the future: Delete History, Freeze Transformation! And concerning the naming - I know I should, I always start off pretty careful to name everything, and as the project goes on you get lazy and hasty... I'll be more careful with that...

For the other advices, it's mostly to late for this Project, but I'll make shure to watch that in the future!

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2010, 10:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.