PDA

View Full Version : Hair constraints not moving

nikrb
05-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Hi, nuuuub alert :)

Grab a hair example from Visor (ShortWithBangs.ma).
Create a few joints.
Smooth skin the ‘scalp’ (geometry associated with the hair system) to the root joint.
Rotate a joint, everything moves except the hair constraint.
I would expect the hair constraint to move with a model as it's animated?
I figure being a beginner I've missed something very basic?

The constraint is parented to the scalp.
I’ve tried removing the parent relationship, skinning then parenting … and tried a number of combinations, even tried a dynamic parent constraint - wotever one of those is ...

Thanx for your time, any help appreciated.

mandark1011
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
does it work when you playblast it? Just a thought.

nikrb
05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
no it doesn't playblast.
But then tbh I wouldn't expect it to if it doesn't work in persp view.

Thx for your reply though, your the only person who's read the thread by the looks.

mandark1011
05-04-2010, 11:50 PM
try making your own hair system on the scalp geometry and see if it behaves like youd expect. May be a way to narrow down what the exact problem is...or post your file and ill try and take a look at it when i get home.

nikrb
05-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi,
I have a model that I originally created the hair system on, but wen I animated it the constraints didn't move. So I figured keep it simple and grab a hair example and try from there.

It's very kind of you to have a look at the file. I have created a new clean example from scratch - details in the notes text object.

thanx for your time

mandark1011
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
k took a look at your scene. Problem there is that the scalp doesn't actually receive any world transforms as it is skinned to a joint.

I removed the hair constraint from the parent to the scalp then parent constrained it to the closest bone with maintain offset still on. Works for me. Good luck.

nikrb
05-05-2010, 07:55 PM
ah kool, thanx so much, really appreciate the help.

mandark1011
05-05-2010, 09:25 PM
your welcome :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2010, 09:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.