PDA

View Full Version : Hole in terrain

melkao
05-03-2010, 11:22 PM
HI everyone, i have a question,

i just imported into vue sxtream 8.0 a dxf terrain, and i applied a ecosystem material, and is just ok.

But, i have to simulate a big hole in the middle in animation...like a big mine hole bith thos big vehicles tracks and everityng...the issue is.

How do i animate that hole?. there is any morphing tool or something to do that?

virtuALER
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM
You may try (animating) booleans in vue... You should experiment a little...
Such a variant: if the terrain is too big, make a separate part of it (where the hole should be) then export it and put on the place (onto the big terrain, probably should export your bigger terrain with 'another hole for the smaller part where your hole simulation' will be), then use boolean on this smaller part of terrain.
That's what the first came in mind...
Or could try without 'a separate part', in case the terrain isn't so huge.
( Hope you got my explanations :) )
Good luck!

melkao
05-05-2010, 09:52 PM
yeah thanks...thas usefull.

But i have other question...
ho can i to apply correctly a texture so it fits to my terrain...for example this one.

melkao
05-06-2010, 10:49 PM
ok...that was useful...but it doenst work...my imported terrain is a dxf format, and when i do the boolean it llok bad...is ther any tutorial of this_...i have to animate aterrain kind of sinking hole to create a big mine.

virtuALER
05-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Yeah, DXF's in most cases aren't the best way for boolean operations.
Well, then you'd find another way (non-DXF) to import your terrain (or piece of it).
So if you can - convert DXF to OBJ (or better to VOB (not sure how though)).
Then can experiment with booleaning...

melkao
05-10-2010, 02:26 PM
ok...thanks...has ok.

now other issue...i have to do an open pit mine, and i dot't know how to make the spiral road properly...how can i make it?

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/multimedia/usercontent/Image/Geology/field_trips/eco_2005/Open%20Pit.jpg

Cuni
05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
I think you could do it with a map in photoshop or ilustrator ...

melkao
05-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I think you could do it with a map in photoshop or ilustrator ...

ok...and ....how?....im new with Vue. and how should i make that material so works good

virtuALER
05-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Ha, a nice shot! :)
Yeah, your task is getting more complex :surprised ...
As for the road, you'd google something like 'making roads in Vue' or something alike.
I've met a couple of such tutorials (though, more elementary, but you need the idea, right ?).
Sorry, have no links, but they're somewhere in theNet, for sure...

P.S. Just to note: for 'those terrain slices' - should try the Strata filter, it's perfect for such things.
Hope it helps.

cturner3d
05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
ok...and ....how?....im new with Vue. and how should i make that material so works good

www.geekatplay.com (http://www.geekatplay.com) under the tutorials section are a vast amount of free videos and there is 1 or 2 decent ones on creating paths and roads in vue.
Hope this helps some.

melkao
05-12-2010, 12:31 AM
o yeah....thanks a lot...thas a lot of help.

Now i have other issue...i have to fill up the hole with water and thats easy, But. how can animate the border maeria to change the color and how to animate a growing ecosysten around the edge of the new lake?

AFalk
05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
For your latest question I reccomend highly this set of tutorials from AsileFX

http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=143

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.