PDA

View Full Version : nCloth won't get back to it's original shape

shcmack
05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm using nCloth for a t-shirt on a character, the cloth seems to work pretty good overall. However, if the character makes fast movements, the nCloth won't relax and settle to it's original shape when the motion has calmed down.

I've looked up nCloth's attributes, but I can't seem to find anything related to my problem. Any tips?

efecto
05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Have you tried turning up the solver quality in the nucleus node?
Try playing with 'substeps' and 'max collision iterations' attributes.
You can animate these attrs so you only have high quality solve when needed to avoid a problem like yours.

tpalamar
05-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Substeps should work for you but a couple of other things to check is your solver scale, make sure it is correct based on the scale of your scene. Also if you are getting a bouncing type effect that add damping.

Duncan
05-07-2010, 12:27 AM
It could be the restitution angle+tension. The default for these are generally high enough that they don't get triggered, but in extreme case they can, allowing the rest length and angle to change(the default really SHOULD mean OFF for this feature, but unfortunately it doesn't). You can set them higher, but in general it would also be a good idea to increase the substeps to avoid the stretching that caused this issue.

There is also a problem where bend angles can get flipped causing kinks when the cloth settles. Maya2011 has a new bend setting( on by default) that fixes this problem.

Duncan

shcmack
05-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for your tips :) It turned out that my input mesh was colliding with the back of my character, and I was trying to fix it by editing my current mesh instead of the input mesh. I also had to increase the substeps, now it seems to work fine!

Thanks again :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2010, 11:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.