PDA

View Full Version : "Spline Transform" plug-in question

Werner
09-12-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm playing around with the Spline Transform plug-in...very handy!

My problem is when I change the shape of the object in modeler after I've activated everything in Layout, it does not work anymore. Also, if I set everything up in Layout and go back into Modeler to create an endomorph for my object it does not work anymore.

anyone out there who experienced the same?

Facial Deluxe
09-12-2003, 02:09 PM
If it si Shift Spline Transform, Keep frame 0 safe, ie as a rest position frame. Should work fine.

Werner
09-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Facial Deluxe
If it si Shift Spline Transform, Keep frame 0 safe, ie as a rest position frame. Should work fine.

thanks Facial! it work. Morphs does not seam to work though? any ideas?

Facial Deluxe
09-12-2003, 02:57 PM
No they don't unfortunatly. I tried, but the Z axis morphing seems to be transformed in X axis ... Weird...
Thought, if it is for translating your object along the spline, you have a special move fonction for this, and even a scale function.
If u need to have 2 differents object translating at different speed, you just have to duplicate the spline (within the plug panel) and assign different Weightmaps to the objects (must be same Layer), works like a charm.
And I think, not sure, then, you'll have to re-rest the new spline & Nulls (at frame 0 of course)

Werner
09-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Thank you sooo much for the help buddy...very helpfull. I'll go experiment more.

:thumbsup: :beer:

Insider
09-13-2003, 06:10 AM
Hey Werner!
Love the girl image you created!

She looks a bit like our girl from the Inside LightWave books -
any relation?

:)

SplineGod
09-13-2003, 06:15 AM
The plugin also is sensitive the the number of polys in your object. The plugin does work with bones but works better if the object has weight maps to isolate the spline influence to just that area. So far Ive had pretty good success rigging a face.

Facial Deluxe
09-13-2003, 08:22 AM
Ha ! just what I was talking about in the "muscle bone" thread !
You'll always be faster :scream:

The only probs I had with ShiftSpline, and I think it's LW related, is when having 2 different tubes, one Huge (Km) and one tiny (m or mm), The tiny one didn't work, deformations went crazy....

SplineGod
09-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Were both tubes in the same scene? I havent seen any strangeness yet.

Facial Deluxe
09-13-2003, 08:46 AM
Yes, 2 different tubes (different objects, each one with the plug) in the same scene. I think it's a matter of scale, deformation are not accurate passed a certain limit. I tried to increase the quality (up to 2000) with no results.

SplineGod
09-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Ive noticed that the deformations get better with more geometry in the object too. Ill have to play with the scale thing and see what happens. :)

Facial Deluxe
09-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Agree, for close up on my tube when it translate slowly, I had to increase subd up to 6, otherwise the faces moving (jigling a bit) were noticeable.
When using scale, it is better to scale from 0 to 100% and not above, for same jiggling reasons that get realy noticeable.

I found ShiftSpline worked nice on tube, did some test on typo sentences but did not get very good results. The letters get squashed, depending on the distance between Nulls, and it is not very easy to have all nulls at same distance...

But great Pluggin anyway.

Would be cool to have this kind of edit for Motion Path (real beziers would be even better)
Though, I had the idea, if I want an object (or cam) to follow the Shift Spline Curve, to replace the object by a row of points, Save transformed object, and in modeler recreate a curve that will be saved as a Motion Path :)
What do you think of this ?

SplineGod
09-13-2003, 10:32 AM
You can create a spline in modeler and then rail extrude a single point poly along it to create a chain of 2 point polys. Apply spline transform to that, deform it then save transformed. Load that back into modeler and convert it back to a spline. Once you do that you have a your motion path that matches the spline transform.

Werner
09-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Insider
Hey Werner!
Love the girl image you created!

She looks a bit like our girl from the Inside LightWave books -
any relation?

:)

Thanks for the kind words Dan!

I make use of the box modeling tecnique to model my characters (Here (http://www.pic-vault.com/ziem/PIC002.jpg) she is without all the hair) ...I do how ever own a copy of Inside Lightwave 6 & 7
The books helped me soooo much when I migrated from max to LW about a year ago.

Insider
09-15-2003, 05:46 PM
That's awesome.

Keep up the great work!

Ramon
05-26-2004, 04:05 AM
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with manipulating the tangent handles to each control point. I need to extend them out so that these weights are better balanced between control points.
Can't move these weights. Where I'm I going wrong?

SplineGod
05-26-2004, 06:10 AM
You have a pic of your setup?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.