PDA

View Full Version : Anyone attending Full Sail Online?

phantomworkshop
05-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Hey,

I'm an aspiring 3D artist whose had quite a bit of experience between self-teaching, a year at a local art school, even a semester at AnimationMentor (mostly financial reasons that I don't feel I'll be able to attend there again.)

I've just recently been doing some research into some different online schools like Academy of Arts University online programs, Gnomon Online and as of a couple of days ago, Full Sail's. I'm curious as to if anyone has done or is currently attending Full Sail's online program (preferably in Computer Animation) but any advice and input is highly appreciated. I'm a bit skeptical, not so much about it being online or anything like that but the fact of like doing Life Drawing and those Traditional Art classes online. I'm curious as to how others have handled and/or felt about those types of courses as well as the experience overall.

I look forward to reading your responses. Thanks!

J

Baensidhe
05-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm starting online classes Monday, computer animation also. I was curious about what everyone on here had to say about it too so I just got finished scanning over a bunch of posts. Haven't seen too much negative input, apparently they are a very fast paced school though. Some people have a hard time keeping up and there's a big dropout rate because of the workload.
I like challenges, so that just makes me look forward to gutting it out.

Good luck at whatever school you decide on! :)

phantomworkshop
05-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Hey Tiffany,

That's awesome! Congrats and good luck! I wrote you a private message. :) Talk to you soon!

NikkiMarieD
05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I just started the Full Sail Online program for Game Art. I've heard some really teribble reviews about the school but I am actually really happy with this program. It is defiantly for beginners though. First couple of courses where general eduaction and then there was a course in 3D Fundamentals. I knew nothing about digital art and I hadn't eves used Maya (or even Photoshop) and in a couple of days I had made theses low-poly guys:

http://heartsandblueroses.deviantart.com/art/Prop-with-Model-157312555

I know they aren't amazing but it was just a couple of days working with the software. (I look at it now and see tons of stuff I would fix.) I'm only about 4 months into it and I love it. I would highly recommend it to someone who wants to go from traditional to CG like I have but I can't really speak to how great it would be for someone with experience. I have the Model Creation course next month which will be the first real specialization course. I could let you know then how the specialization courses are. Right now it feels like it really just trains you to be a jack-of-all-trades unlike animationmentor.com which is JUST animation.

The tuition includes getting a Macbook Pro and tons of software and art supplies which makes things way easier. The online platform is still a little buggy but it's well organized and stuff is easy to access for the most part. There are some kinks they need to work out, but I really wouldn't hold it against them seeing as this program is fairly new. In terms of course content there is really no busywork, you have to put in effort, and the emphasis for all the classes is on the practical application of what you learn. It's not terribly difficult, I've found I can maintain a 4.0 just by putting in my best effort and follow the directions. It's also possible to network with other students through the platform. I've made a few good friends already.

On the down side I've heard that some employers don't consider a Full Sail education adequate. I spoke with a guy who does lighting production who said "I'm overqualified to TEACH at that school" because he had employed some of the graduates and they where "Eaten alive." However that was speaking about the theater production, not Game Art.

Hope I helped. :) Feel free to PM me.

phantomworkshop
05-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks Nikki! I sent you a message on deviantART.

Talk to you soon :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2010, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.