PDA

View Full Version : CS5 crash on render

Steve Green
05-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Hi,

just started using the trial (I have the proper version on order)

I tried using Rotobrush on a quicktime (h264) from my DSLR, which worked well.

I froze the rotobrush, which seemed to take a long time, then rendered it to a PNG sequence and it crashed after a few frames.

This is running on a dual Xeon, 64bit Windows 7 ultimate, Geforce 9600 GT, latest nvidia drivers.

Is the 9600GT a particularly unsuitable card? The 9 series is on the list on the Adobe site.

There are no other plugins installed in AE.

This is the first attempt to do anything with CS5 and I'm getting a crash on output, which is pretty worrying.

Thanks,

Steve

Mylenium
05-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah, but how much RAM do you have and do you render with multiprocessing? Temporal effects always have been problematic since they access a bazillion frames at the same time, making mem usage grow exponentially in some scenarios. Please try with MP off or at least less render processes and provide the info you omitted now. Graphics card should not be the problem, as RB doesn't use it and with MP, all OpenGL features would be turned off, anyway. You might still try and turn off OpenGL in the prefs, of course.

Mylenium

Steve Green
05-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi,

sorry, should have mentioned.

8 Gig, sequence is around 19s.

Yes, I did have multiprocessing turned on - I'll give it a go without and turn OGL off.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Green
05-01-2010, 08:54 AM
One thing I just noticed is that if you have MP turned on, it just seemed to hang on the first frame of freezing the roto brush.

When I turned it off and tried freezing the RB again, it just went ahead and did it straight away.

Cheers

Steve

ToddKopriva
05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
If you are experiencing crashes, please submit a crash report and a bug report (http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/04/send-feedback-about-after-effe.html).

Regarding freezing taking a long time: The whole reason that the Freeze feature exists is because processing the Roto Brush effect can take a long time, and so you don't want to trigger a recalculation unnecessarily.

Steve Green
05-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi,

thanks for the link, when I said long time, it just seemed to sit there at the first frame, but when I turned off multiprocessing support it rattled through them quite quickly.

Cheers

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2010, 04:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.