PDA

View Full Version : Putting a mountain on an Iceberg (cleanly)

Mafx
05-01-2010, 03:51 AM
hey all,

I am having trouble making a mountain that I need to. I want to bottom look of an iceberg terrain, straight sort of sides but with a bit of randomness and then I want to chuck a moutain on top of it as I do not want the flat top an iceberg creates.

I have tried to have the terrain editor open on the side and sculpting the outline but I cannot make then have the same sort of edges so they blend in nicely.

Has anyone got any tips about joining two terrains together so they blend together nicely.

Many thanks

S.

AFalk
05-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Cant you simply filter the outputs(1 for the mountain & 1 for the glacier terrains) and then combine the two to acheive the appearance you want.

cturner3d
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Cant you simply filter the outputs(1 for the mountain & 1 for the glacier terrains) and then combine the two to acheive the appearance you want.

would be a lot easier to make it a multifractal terrain instead in the function editor. And I think that's what you're getting at here right? Open terrain editor go to the function editor (using a procedural terrain that is) create 2 fractal nodes, one would be designed as a glacier/iceberg, then combo the 2nd as a terrain fractal which would give the mountain look he's asking about. balance that out with the combiner node, and possibly add a filter node as well to clean up the transitions. If you have no experience though with the function editor this might be Greek. Look up Quadspinners Terrains videos, he explains in detail how to use multifractal terrains to the best possible looks.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.