PDA

View Full Version : Best 3D Application For Rendering in the future?

rhodeder
04-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I've always thought that Maya would always stay ahead of the curve for realistic renders but i been second guessing lately the future of Maya. Does anyone have any insight into what 3d application will be the best for realistic rendering in the future?

sundialsvc4
04-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Two answers...

(1) "How realistic" things turn out to be is mostly (if not exclusively...) determined by how good at your craft you are! Michelangelo used the same paints that everybody else did ... to paint the Sistine Chapel.

(2) Computer software turns out to have an amazingly long life-span. When you are working on a project that takes half-a-dozen years or more to finish, you want to be able to generate an image one week before deadline that will match perfectly with the first image that you did. Furthermore, as you continue doing new projects, you build up a considerable library of "the devil you know." So, there are very substantial practical barriers to change. When change occurs, it occurs very deliberately. (And... nobody's being "clueless" here... nobody's being a Luddite.)

So ... (pick a product) "isn't going away." Probably twenty years from now, (pick a product) will still be going strong. (It will of course by then be a very different product.) Backward-compatible avenues for moving forward will have been invented -- as they routinely are, in any computer software discipline -- and some shops will be using them on some projects.

What I've learned is that it pays to be "somewhat familiar with" everything that's out there. Grab educational copies. (It's a good reason to take community-college courses if you have long since graduated...)

There is no "best."

Keep your finger on the pulse of what's going on; of what techniques are being used. You cannot be "a jack of all trades," but you don't have to be.

You can choose to "go deep" or to "go broad." Some people plunge into "extreme specialization," taking a particular "silo" of knowledge and learning every inch of it. Others (like yours truly) are generalists. I'm not going to say which approach is best for you.

rhodeder
05-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks that was a good answer.

beaker
05-02-2010, 03:34 PM
I've always thought that Maya would always stay ahead of the curve for realistic renders but i been second guessing lately the future of Maya. Does anyone have any insight into what 3d application will be the best for realistic rendering in the future?Your question does not make sense. Maya is not the renderer, Mental Ray, Maya Software, Maya Hardware, Vector renderer, Prman, 3delight, Turtle, Vray, Final Render and another 5-10+ other 3rd party ones are the renderers which can all be used in Maya and other 3d packages.

sundialsvc4
05-04-2010, 05:06 AM
... and who's to say what additional techniques and tools will be added to that mix, "in the future?" Well, if you knew that, you'd be a prophet. But anyway, in the world of computer software (and hardware), things are always added; never quite subtracted. Unlike old soldiers, they never "just fade away."

It might seem back-asswards ;) that people very consciously do things this way, but there are very sound reasons for it. Technologies change constantly, but this doesn't.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2010, 05:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.