PDA

View Full Version : XSI 2.5 to be announced at siggraph

visgoth
05-24-2002, 03:08 AM
I was at the Toronto event for the Avid start to finish tour, and I managed to get a few small tidbits of info from the softimage guys:

1. Xsi 2.5 is in beta right now, and with luck will be released "soon after siggraph".

2. The subdiv surfaces in 2.5 will refresh much faster.

3. A lot of new features in the fx tree, but they wouldn't go into details.

4. Better hair tools.

5. Xsi 2.0.3 should be available soon, mostly hair fixes.

cmortier
05-24-2002, 07:09 AM
It seams to be mostly XSI Advanced improvement...

raffael3d
05-24-2002, 01:20 PM
that's cool!!
yeah, but I'm sure that there are many improvements, wait till you see a detailed sheet. .-) I'm sure they did add some great tools.

EdHarriss
05-24-2002, 03:18 PM
I think that you'll all be pretty amazed when you see what's coming… :)

visgoth
05-24-2002, 06:56 PM
Nice, now if only I could afford to go to siggraph, i want some more material to drool over now!!! :)

mr-doOo
05-24-2002, 07:16 PM
2 month......i can t wait

krisr
05-26-2002, 03:24 AM
I'm just looking forward to seeing some bug issues resolved such as incorrect refractions and local materials/textures deleted when creating new passes :annoyed: I would like to see maybe bezier curves and more poly-cleanup tools :p

KEKS
05-26-2002, 05:22 AM
Ed :) do you have any more info on the features :))
I am loving XSI

Vic3k
05-26-2002, 11:47 AM
I am loving XSI

i second that :):thumbsup:

wmendez
05-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Your Not the only one, after using LW for 6 Years XSI is intoxicating....:)

Will

EdHarriss
05-27-2002, 01:12 AM
I have no more info that I can share. ;)

dmonk
05-27-2002, 07:03 PM
How much longer after siggraph will 2.5 be out?
Will they have a press release at siggraph.

I'll be there I hope they give out demos.
And why can't they just wait till they fix every before they keep releasing new versions.

It's cool and all but or lab techs take forever when it comes to updating the software.

Null_
05-28-2002, 07:38 AM
In average Soft has released a new version every 6 month (they released ver 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 in a period of 18 month) so hopefully the release of ver 2.5 is just around the corner…

sean_G
05-28-2002, 07:46 AM
if he told you hed have to kill you...JK
XSI a clean interface with so many powerful tool-sets within its grasp im really hyped to see where there going to take it.
top 5 improvements id like to see...

1. use the wieght painter brush for applying textures.
2. PARTICLES and HAIR with an "instanced object" feature
3. view port viewable, and freezable displacement
4. finally a fix for the IOR bug ... my glass still ****s!!!
5. implementable PHOTON VOLUME NODE....for the luv of christ!!
^>6. the ability to directly view and alter your 3D photon map
would be really cool too ...

what do you guys think they should do for us devout and pious followers?

Null_
05-28-2002, 08:06 AM
NURBS. Ad some real NURBS tools (and support) and I will not complain about anything else… not for a week at least :D

sean_G
05-28-2002, 08:21 AM
maybe im just not using the curve net right, but from what i hear soft3d has much more advanced nurbs tools... something like 3dsmaxes surface tools would be cool....

and metaballs baby, bring back the metaballs!

but right on null... withall this hype on subD it seems almost everyone forgot about good ol' nurbs...

visgoth
05-28-2002, 12:51 PM
When polygon modeling I want to see a show/hide polygon tool, and an "ignore backfaces" setting when selecting edges / verticies a la 3dsmax. Also, it would be neat if proportional mode worked in edge mode and polygon mode too. Oh, also a shrink selection hotkey would be nice (i know there's a script that does this but i don't think scripts can be assigned to a hotkey...)

visualboo
05-28-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by wmendez
Your Not the only one, after using LW for 6 Years XSI is intoxicating....:)

Will

Will, you wouldn't happen to be the Will from the LW ads would ya? I'm not positive if that was the name of the guy in the ads (pretty sure but dont have any in front of me).

If you are, the tattoo's and all.... ouch. Now your using XSI? :)

Take care bud
-vb

mr-doOo
05-28-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by visgoth

(i know there's a script that does this but i don't think scripts can be assigned to a hotkey...)

you can, in the keyboard mapping > custom script commands

visgoth
05-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Ahh, cool didn't know that... maybe I should sit down and RTFM one of these days :p

wmendez
05-31-2002, 02:38 PM
VisualBoo,

Yes that is me, IM using the Demo version of XSI now and if essentials gets down to $3K I would difinately buy it. I will always use LW but the love what XSI has to offer.

you can see the ad and others that have followed what I did here

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/24436.html?1022562662

later!
Will

visgoth
06-01-2002, 12:53 AM
Yikes, I love xsi but I don't love it enough to become a walking billboard for it ;)

Vic3k
06-01-2002, 01:04 AM
Yikes, I love xsi but I don't love it enough to become a walking billboard for it

i am ready for it, in the name of love for XSI :)

Array
06-01-2002, 11:31 PM
if xsi dropped to about 4000$ and added rib exporting, i would buy it.

visgoth
06-02-2002, 01:36 AM
There is a util that converts .mi / .mi2 files to .rib. I believe I saw it on www.highend3d.com (http://www.highend3d.com) in the utilities section. Phoenixtools _might_ do an xsi version of softman (xsiman?) which would be cool. As for a price drop, who knows. If Avid decides they want to push xsi then they'll drop the price some. Btw, there is an XSI trade-in deal happening, check the softimage website for details.

arvid
06-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Don't you mean AnimalLogic? :rolleyes:
They developed Softman, and from what I heard
they're working on "XSIman" or whatever they'll call it

:beer:

visgoth
06-04-2002, 05:11 PM
Oops, ya it was animal logic that made softman... its been a while since I used old soft :P

CHRiTTeR
06-08-2002, 04:24 AM
The improvement I'd like the most is a input connector so u can laod data from your brain. that should work quite nice.

:cool: :p ;)

francescaluce
06-26-2002, 12:06 PM
I think(hope) that xsi2.5 should have the new mentalray3.1 :bounce:

new features::

::automatic ray tracing acceleration using a hierarchical grid algorithm

::full support for IES and Eulumdat light profile data with accurate illumination estimation. (Light profiles for commercial light fixtures are available from the light vendors to describe accurate lighting parameters of their products.)

::multipass rendering allows collecting sample data from multiple render passes, including user-defined data. Pass data can be merged into the final image with a custom merging function.

::geometric area lights emit light from arbitrarily shaped objects

::optional coherent 4D motion sampling extension for very fast, accurate, and smooth motion blur

:: multi-segment vertex motion blur for curved motion blur, up to 15 segments per vector

::full camera shutter control for shutter-open and shutter-close time

::RGBE (4*8 bits per pixel in High Dynamic Range (HDR) format)

::all frame buffers are stored in multipass rendering files for laster user-defined merging

::Radiance RGBE image

::option to store RGBE data in traditional RGBA formats such as RLA, RLB, PIC, SGI RGBA, TIFF RGBA, Targa, etc.

::new very precise sub-pixel displacement that resolves even the finest detail of the displacement map, without excessive memory consumption and with very easy-to-use quality control settings, using mental ray 3's dataflow mechanism.

::efficient storage and rendering of hair. Hair is defined as 1D, 2D, or 3D Bzier curves, and is defined by optimized hair primitives instead of triangles.

::Works in conjunction with ray tracing, shadows, motion, etc.

::Allows attachment of texture spaces of up to 255 dimensions total, per hair and/or per vertex.

ciao
francesca

arvid
06-26-2002, 01:04 PM
XSI 2.5/3.0 (undecided) WILL have MR 3.1

:bounce:

on-screen
06-28-2002, 01:46 AM
using XSI for a few months and i managed to master the polygon modelling stuff!!
yeah :bounce:

anyway, its good to hear that Softimage|XSI 2.5 is outting soon
w00000000T!
:p

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.