PDA

View Full Version : Keylight- Soft Colour vs Hard Colour

dudekill
04-29-2010, 11:00 PM
I was doing some keying testing recently in my new green screen studio, and noticed some nasty noise artifacts when using Soft Colour as the replace method (which is the default I believe).

I was shooting with a Canon 7D, so I thought it might be the 8bit h.264 codec, but changing my project settings to 16 bit or 32bit had no effect.

When I switched to Hard Colour, it cleaned up immediately. Has anyone had this issue?

Mylenium
04-30-2010, 05:58 AM
Seems to depend on the specific compression used in their CoDec which may result in one color component not providing enough contrast for the soft method to work... I wouldn't worry too much.

Mylenium

dudekill
04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks. I'm not really worried, just wondering if it was a common thing with these new DSLRs, since lots of people are shooting with them these days, or if it happens all the time no matter what you are shooting with, and you just have to experiment on a shot by shot basis. There is definitely less info in the blue channel, maybe that's causing it.

Mylenium
05-01-2010, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't really know. Beyond a few test clips I have no access to such footage and don't have the money for such a cam. Any MPEG stuff uses chroma undersampling, though, so problems in that area strike me as natural, even more so as from what I gather, the cams also work wit ha different scanning mode and resolution when doing video, possibly removing even more valuable color info. Well, certainly just a case of needing to establish a good workflow around it. You'll get there, eventually.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2010, 07:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.