PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush --> 3DS Max Detail Reproduction

ja4161
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know of a good tutorial for capturing Zbrush detail on a low-poly (60k) character in 3DS Max? I have a model with a lot of sculpted fur, however when I bring the normal map into 3DS Max, I haven't been able to even come close to reproducing the level of detail from Zbrush. I have primarily been using normal maps rather than displacement maps, however I'm certainly open to the best overall method. I have to keep in mind that the character will be animated and morph targets are going to be applied.

I have generated the normal map in Zbrush using tangent and tangent/adaptive. I tried adaptive by itself but the subsequent map didn't look anything like a traditional normal map.

Kanga
05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Decimate your high poly zbrush sculpt and use max to generate the normal map. If this isnt for games and you can use turbosmooth to help joint deformation you might look at using displacement maps to help your model profile as well. 3dsmax generates the best normal maps, also due to the projection function. zbrush sculpts the best details.

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.