PDA

View Full Version : low2high

brainycomp
04-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Ok...so I see this all the time in breakdowns but I just cant figure it out so im starting a new thread, with an easy explanation, in hopes that somebody can help me.

What I want to do is fracture a sculpture in maya that will crumble with dynamics. I don't want to create the high-poly mesh yet. I want a simple lo-poly, ugly, simple shape to fracture and animate first!

Here's the problem :banghead:

After fracturing and dynamically simulating the lo-poly mesh, how do I add detail to the mesh later? I've seen this done many times but no clue how to do it myself. How do I replace the fractured/dynamic lo-poly pieces with beautiful high-poly pieces?

I know a little on how to reference files but not for so many at a time and for objects that have dynamic properties.

Any help will be very very appreciated! :bowdown:

TheRispo
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure if this would work or do what you want. But what about baking the sim for the low poly object and constraining the highPoly mesh to the lowPoly? I guess that you'll requiere to do this for a lot of objects so a bit of scripting would be necessary.
I don't have maya in this machine (we use Max at work.. only a couple of machines have maya) but I'm guessing a for loop should be enough.. If I have the time later I'll try to test this, and write a simple script instead of just talking without a way of backing-up what im saying

animatedfox
04-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I am just pondering your idea...and wondering if you could use file referencing...I don't have time to put together a test right now...but maybe someone out there would be able to confirm if this would work or not.

Reference in your lo-res geo scene and run your simulation and cache it.
Then, in theory, if you replaced the reference with your hi-res geo scene it should transfer no problem (assuming all of your names and transforms were the same in both scenes).
If it works, this would be nice because it would allow you to swap back easily if you needed to re-sim it.

Please forgive me if this is a dead-end.
Just a thought.
~Ben

brainycomp
04-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Man, thanks guys. These are definitely the kind of answers I've been looking for!

animatedfox...I did a little test with your idea and it worked beautifully. Still interested if anyones got other methods. I'm sure everyone's got their own way of going about this..

animatedfox
04-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes my suggestion was based on the idea that you had one file of your starting structure made with all of the lo-res geo fragments...and one file of the same structure made from the hi-res geo fragments.
I would lose my mind if every little peice was it's own file.

You could certainly script something to swap your references...

brainycomp
04-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks! I realized that after I posted my last comment...I edited the question out just before you replied. Sorry about that.

Thanks again for all your help. This is working like a charm.

brainycomp
04-29-2010, 09:36 PM
You know...I wonder if theres a script or plugin out there that generates a lowres mesh automatically. seems like it would be very useful for this type of thing.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2010, 09:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.