PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to convert motion pathed object animation in keyframes?

Fanko
04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Just a quick example for my question.

Say I attached a ball on a curve, following it over a specific timeline. Is it possible to convert these motion data into actual keyframes for further manipulation, because a motion path object cannot be keyframed, (say I want the ball to be spinning on its own while following the curve)

Or is there any other work around?

animatedfox
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
You could use a Locator as the object following the motion path and then Parent (not Parent Constrain) the Sphere to the Locator.
You will then be able to animate the Sphere independently of the motion path movement...and also make it very easy to make changes to the motion path shape or timing.

Hope this helps.
~Ben

Fanko
04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
that sounds like a great idea. Thou I do have a problem.

I am doing animation for a game, and one of the limitation of the engine is that I can't use NURBS. So if there is a way to convert motion data into keyframes, I can delete the NURBS curve afterwards.

Any ideas?

animatedfox
04-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Just select the Locator object I mentioned before and go to Edit > Keys > Bake Simulation []
Set any options you want and you should be all set.

If you need to do this without the Locator parent, you can just bake the motion path animation and then add your extra animation.

~Ben

Fanko
04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Perfect :)!!

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.