PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a complex model

italianice388
04-29-2010, 04:35 AM
Hi, I was just wondering how to go about rigging a character. She has fingers, ankles, knees, elbows, a neck, etc. She also is wearing a skirt and a shirt, and has hair. I'd like to make her mouth move also, but I think I know how to do that. How do I get her to move, and have her hair / clothing move with her? Thanks!

MrMint
04-29-2010, 07:19 AM
This might help:

http://en.9jcg.com/comm_pages/blog_content-art-11.htm

About cloth and hair...depends on the needs. Should it be dynamically or not.
If not, maybe wrap deformer is an option. Though slow, it worked better for me than binding the cloth to the skeleton and copying the skin-weights from the character to the cloth

Darksuit
04-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Actually if you are really really new to maya and are at a loss for were to start. I would suggest taking a look through the forums first also take a look at you maya help docs.

Under:

Using Maya > Animation, Character Setup, And Deformers > Character Setup > Skeletons

This is a great place to start. You should really understand what is happening first. Don't try to do too much with your first rig. Start with the basics.

Skeleton -- Try using just 32 joints, this is a basic limit that will keep your rig from getting out of control

Controls -- Understand that different constraints Parent Postion and Rotate versus Point and Orientation, Aim, and Pole Vectors.

Simple IK chains -- Understand the different types of IK. SC (Single Chain) versus RP (Rotate Place).

Once your good with those basics, Take a look at a couple of the books in the recomendation thread. I'd suggest look at the Book in person so you can see if the book covers the technique you are looking for.

You should also learn to deconstruct a rig. This is a simple technique of taking a Rig and opening the hypershader and seeing the inputs and outputs of an object to see how it was constructed.

Keep a notebook. Jot down notes and ideas on how things are down or where you find them. I don't profess to know everything, But I have a lot of notes I reference and a large library built up over many years.

italianice388
04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Thank you guys, I'll check into those resources and let you know how it goes. I've rigged a character or two in the past, but nothing I'm particularly proud of. My main concern here is getting the ncloths AND the rig to work together correctly.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.