PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a complex model

italianice388
04-29-2010, 04:28 AM
Hi, I was just wondering how to go about rigging a character. She has fingers, ankles, knees, elbows, a neck, etc. She also is wearing a skirt and a shirt, and has hair. I'd like to make her mouth move also, but I think I know how to do that. How do I get her to move, and have her hair / clothing move with her? Thanks!

tpalamar
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
It depends on your final output. Is this a real time character, television, film... deadline intensive or personal project.

Using nCloth for the clothing would be the high end way to go.

Is the hair geometry? You could use nCloth for it too.

italianice388
04-29-2010, 04:13 PM
ncloth is already in place! i've used it for the hair and the clothing. there are some areas where her shirt clips through her skirt. anyways around that?

tpalamar
04-29-2010, 04:15 PM
There are numerous things you can do. Here are a couple of things you could try.

1. Place them on different collision layers
2. Increase collision thickness
3. Increase Max Collision Iterations or Substeps on the solver
4. Add a constraint to either pin the shirt down or mute its affects or control just the ends (Matching Mesh)

There are a lot of factors that could be causing it to penetrate.

italianice388
04-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I will certainly give that a shot! Thanks! My other main concern now is ensuring that the clothing / hair moves along with the body. Right now, when I move the body, the clothing stays in its original location. I'd imagine this is a simple parenting issue, but I'd like to know exactly how to do it correctly.

Thanks again everyone!

tpalamar
04-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Its not a parenting issue if you are using nCloth. Are they nCloth?

italianice388
04-29-2010, 11:19 PM
There are numerous things you can do. Here are a couple of things you could try.

1. Place them on different collision layers
2. Increase collision thickness
3. Increase Max Collision Iterations or Substeps on the solver
4. Add a constraint to either pin the shirt down or mute its affects or control just the ends (Matching Mesh)

There are a lot of factors that could be causing it to penetrate.

I'm sorry, how would I go about putting them on separate collision layers?

EDIT: And yes, all the clothing and the hair are ncloth. Thanks!

tpalamar
04-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Each nCloth node has an attribute for Collision Layer. The lower the number the higher the priority. The attribute is located with the other collision parameters. Although it is a floating point value set it with integers.

italianice388
04-30-2010, 01:39 AM
Its not a parenting issue if you are using nCloth. Are they nCloth?

Thanks! I think the clipping issues have been solved, however the clothes still don't move with the figure. For example, I'll move her to the right, but her clothing will remain its original place.

Edit:

Thank you so much for all the help. I hate to barrage you with questions, but I have another. Is there anyway to get the ncloth to cast shadow?

JaredTaylor
04-30-2010, 01:48 AM
You have to animate her going into the pose, then have extra keyframes for it to settle.

I'd type in -250 into the time slider, use 50 frames for her pose, then 200 for the cloth to settle, then start animating on frame 0.

italianice388
05-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Okay, also, when rigging, should I delete history on the ncloth? And how do I get everything to stick together, still haven't figured that out. (Getting the clothing and hair to move as the figure moves).

thanks!

EDIT: Also, when I do a smooth bind to get the skeleton to join the mesh, it deletes faces on my model. Any reason why this might be happening?

Thanks again!

tpalamar
05-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Thank you so much for all the help. I hate to barrage you with questions, but I have another. Is there anyway to get the ncloth to cast shadow?

nCloth is normal geometry, it casts shadows as normal.

You should delete the history from the geometry prior to converting to nCloth. Getting things to stick together is a matter of fitting the clothing to the character. The character geometry should be a passive nCloth object. You can also add constraints to keep certain areas pinned down, like the hair to the head or a collar.

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2010, 12:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.