PDA

View Full Version : Shaman Creature

meatle
04-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Hey guys,

This is a personal project I've been working on. The first character I've followed all the way through with! It's been very frustrating but I have learned so much. Please feel free to let loose though, design wise, color wise or what ever might not be looking right. I would like to use this guy in my portfolio if he's good enough.

Thanks

matsman
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Hej!
Congrats on this project!
Its always good to follow a project all the way, and I know that happens far too little with our free time projects.

As far as comments go, technically your mesh looks really good, the shapes are well defined and your polyflow really looks well thought out. There are a few things that might be worth considering however, there is a loop that goes from the eyes all the way around the chin which adds a lot of polygons where they aren't really neccessary.
Also backpack and skirt seem a little low compared to the reast of the body.

Design wise I have a lot more to complain about :P
First of all I think your texture needs work. I think you started off well with the skin, but it is all a bit the same and rather busy. I would like to see a bit more of a plan to it, making the arms a little less vibrant so the hands are more noticeable and or the feet a bit more dusty/dirty so they would ask less attention, something like that (please test before doing :) just thinking out loud)
The black and white strips are very black and very white something you wouldn't see in real life, especially not on a "nature folk" shaman with all the dust and weather effects on clothing/accesories.
And finally the face/mask is far too busy which means I can't see the eyes or mouth clearly which takes away a lot of humanity and makes it hard for me to relate to the character. Again something that could be fixed by rethinkin the texture.

Second while the side view has a nice silhouette, the more or less front view you submitted nex to it has the head completely in front of the body making it hard to see and interpret. (You could give the body/ head a bit more contrasting colours to fix that BTW) The shell?? on his back is rather vague, the shape makes me think of a seashell or a wasp but the texture gives no indication of what it could be... weird!

All in all I would love to see a little more colour and would definitely like to know what that thing on his back is... a cocoon?

Also think about using an alpha texture for the bottom of the skirt that'll make it a bit more natural/realistic/believable.

All in all you did a very good job I think! So once again congrats!

meatle
04-30-2010, 09:34 PM
thanks Matsman,

texturing/sculpting is definately my weakest point at the moment, and I definately get where you're coming from. It always seems like I'm either making the texture to busy or just too bland. I appreciate the feedback. Hoping to have an update this weekend.

Bouke285
05-01-2010, 01:46 AM
I think you should add more detail to the mask, a simple leather strap or two will help a lot, and yes alpha out the bottom of the skirt maybe even add a couple layers to it.

greevar
05-02-2010, 07:48 PM
I had some trouble understanding where the face was because the mask covers a lot of facial landmarks. It took a look at your wireframe to understand where the eyes and mouth are. Enlarging the eye and mouth openings and using the design on the mask to draw attention to those features would make this character's face less ambiguous.

meatle
05-03-2010, 09:37 AM
thanks for the tips Bouke285 and Greevar. I am currently adding a belt to him, I'll play with the strap idea as well. The mask is also going to need to be edited I do want eyes to be visible as I think they will lend greatly to identifying landmarks on this character (especially since from a front view so much form is lost.)

meant to have a bit more progress on this guy but only got around to tweaking the shaders and the specular map. Any advice/links you don't mind throwing up for that?

Edit* Oh and I changed my design for the shell...tried to tone all the business down, not sure if it worked

matsman
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I would say that looks already a little better... still not too sure about the shell colour though... maybe look at some real life seashells to give a little more than just grey :)

also you are in luck someone is going more or less the same route here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=877007 (sorry to spoil the originality for you :( )

see what choices are made there... one thing is the larger mask makes sure we know it is not his face :P now don't copy just be inspired ;)

Looking forward to more texture work :) Also maybe try something out in photoshop on the render real quick... that usually helps if you are a bit stuck or out of new ideas.

Greetings!

meatle
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
hmm I really like her choices in design and texture for the skin....my chars skin looks dull and lifeless blarg

well back at it, definately will be following that one

meatle
06-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Been spending a lot of time playing around with the texture/specular/normal maps, I've been close to calling it on this guy but suddenly started making some good mistakes (imo) let me know what you guys think and where I could improve.

meatle
09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Update
I've been working on a lot of other projects but am pretty happy with how this guys evolved as a project.

meatle
10-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I've updated my website with this character:

http://nickjmetcalf.com/Models/Model_Monstah.html

any feedback is welcome

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2010, 09:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.