PDA

View Full Version : FBIK in 2011

techmage
04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
It looks like the FBIK got some considerable work done on it in 2011, I'm just curious to hear anyones experiences with it who have tried to take it through a real production. Does the skeleton still have a tendency to break when copying or rearraning keys too much? Does it work effectively with the trax edit now? Does it work effectively with the animation layering?

And also, I remember in the old way FBIK worked, you could grab the knee node, the elbow node, or the shoulder node and move those. The default skeleton FBIK seems to be making in 2011 doesn't seem to do that, you drag one of the knee or elbow nodes and it just snaps back to its original position, how do you change that?

Also I remember in 2010 you could grab the hand and pull it, then the shoulder and rest of body would follow. 2011 seems to not be doing that either, and I can't figure out the option to change it. Anyone know how to change it? I already tried unpinning the nodes.

tpalamar
04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
It sounds like you are using the new HIK solver and not FBIK. They are different. The FBIK still works the same.

techmage
04-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Oh I see, is HumanIK intended to be used for animation purposes at all? Or is it only for retargeting?

tpalamar
04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
My understanding is that it is primarily used for retargeting. But you can also animate it as it does have its own solver. I believe the true power with HIK is its flexibility for blending (and of course retargeting).

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.