PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Forest_2D_Character/Enviroment_Sleepless

Sleepless
05-23-2002, 11:23 PM
I'm going to jump in here between assignments with an early sketch. Hansel and Gretel might meet this lady while lost in the forest. I hope to add to the bacis idea by the next post.

-This is in PS, the elements shown are painted in separate alpha channels for now. This is new for me as I always work in traditional techniques and I usually have to draw guys in business attire.....I'm sure I will learn a lot. Glad to be hear.

Sleepless

KOryH
05-24-2002, 12:20 AM
DA dA dA DADA DAAAAAAA
Welcome, I can't wait to see what you do.

Look out for this guy, people!

elfufu
05-24-2002, 04:31 PM
i saw your portfolio, i hoped i clicked the wrong site or we're doomed.... :p

great work

oh my this is my 50th post im a nerd in the making

Sleepless
05-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words.
A slight update - changed/stylized the trees, spent too much time reworking my masking layers (I'm trying to learn as I go).

I thinking she's going to pick up the daily mail. I believe I'll put a enchanted mailbox in the right foreground. We'll see what kinda packages she gets.

Sleepless

Sleepless
05-25-2002, 05:49 AM
Oh where, Oh where, did my midtones go?

Russo
05-25-2002, 08:10 PM
oh we have a Cezanne fan here... ;)
very nice work...

Ripley
05-26-2002, 06:47 PM
I love the style! and the curly branches. I would hang that on my wall. Good job.

Sleepless
05-27-2002, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys.....

Here's an update. I'm been lazy and have not filled the corner with the mailbox yet. I'm just not sure if that's what I really want to do.

Sleepless
05-27-2002, 05:59 AM
oops.

-Sleepless

jeroentje
05-28-2002, 05:19 PM
Hmm...
I wonder who will end in second place in this challenge.
jeroentje :curious:

puddlefish
05-28-2002, 10:43 PM
This is a beautiful, bold, confident and very charming style.
Nice to see a little more variety in these challenges, this is my favourite so far.

Gilgamesh
05-29-2002, 04:01 AM
I must agree. It is good to see the trace of a human hand, which is so often missing from computer art.....

Sangotten
05-29-2002, 09:24 AM
Really freaking cool work!

I like the atmosphere, don't take it as an offence but it makes me think of those scary children-book illustrations...
Truly a great job!

:thumbsup:

System404
05-29-2002, 03:02 PM
hhhmm! i was going to give you five stars but the rating system seems to have vanished!!!:shrug: oh well, i still think yours is worthy of five stars anyway:applause: yours is an original.

Sleepless
05-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Updated version.
I bagged the mailbox idea and went with less dominant image for the foreground. I don't know where this is going next.......I just want to be able to say in the end, that I actually "finished" a photoshop piece. That would be a first for me.

Thanks to all for the comments

- I like scary children's books
-I wish I could get a handle on this optimization thing, not satisfied with the results so far.

KOryH
05-29-2002, 06:35 PM
Looking Good!

Tellerve
05-30-2002, 02:55 AM
neat, wicked style ya got there. Makes me envision some off the wall children's book you wouldn't really want to show your kids 'cause you'd scare them but was so good you're tempted to anyways.

Tellerve

elfufu
05-30-2002, 07:42 PM
very stylized thats great. looks really great:thumbsup:

Azure
05-31-2002, 04:36 PM
That lady rules :buttrock:

~A~

ZrO-1
05-31-2002, 06:39 PM
This piece is goregous. I really like the style you've given it. I forget the artist's name :blush: it's the guy that did the screaming face and melting watches...that guy:rolleyes: . Your work reminds me of his stuff. :thumbsup:

Kirt
06-02-2002, 09:51 AM
ZrO-1, are you thinking of Dali?

I'm thinking this reminds me of block prints (is that the right term? Cutting reliefs out of wood and printing with ink). Very nice style indeed.

parallax
06-02-2002, 01:25 PM
That is really great, very inspiring, it would look very nice as a A0 print.:thumbsup:

wildsheepchase
06-02-2002, 08:56 PM
This is a beautiful piece. I love the style.:drool:

Zr0-1- I think you're thinking of two different people. Dali did the melting watches and Munch did the scream. I agree that the style of this drawing is similar to Munch.:p

Sleepless
06-03-2002, 03:46 PM
Small update, cleaning up some tidbits, played with the lantern light source some. I'm not sure how far I want to go with this, I would like to keep it loose and sketchy but still look finished. There's way too much time left in the challenge......This is a great forum, I learning many so much from all the threads. The approach to lighting and surface from the 3d work has

Thanks to everyone,

NC Wyeth- My favorite illustrator of all time. Plus countless new artists I'm discovering daily though my new CG obession.

Sleepless

Sleepless
06-03-2002, 03:49 PM
.........The approach to lighting and surface from the 3d work has been very influential.

KOryH
06-03-2002, 05:32 PM
YES!
I am really liking this.

And NC Wyeth mmmmmmm Howard Pyle mmmmmmmm
Oh yeah I love those guys. JC Leyendecker mmmmmmmmm
Dean Cornwell mmmmm Thomas Lovell mmmmm JM Flag mmmmm
CD Gibson mmmmmmm Booth mmmmmm
Classic American Illustrators really Float My Boat!
Did you ever check out the Society of Illustrators Museum in NY?

puddlefish
06-03-2002, 07:56 PM
This is fantastic, definitely my favourite of the challange. I'm sure you don't need to be warned of the dangers of overworking a piece either. I can't see that it needs much more, but it's obviously your call.

Maybe you could start of a small character sketch as an additional piece. I for one would love to see more.

Sleepless
06-03-2002, 09:50 PM
All are amazing, I went on a Lyendecker craze a few months ago. We have a couple of his early Sat Eve Post covers in our house, both are from the year it was built (just a fluke). Went to SI Museum once, I was stunned, floored. I was into Brad Holland at the time so it was cool. Also if you get a chance go to the Wyeth musuem in Brandywine. See some originals from the father and son.

Puddlefish- Yes I think I'm real close to stopping...May do another character as you suggested in this look. Thanks a bunch.

Sleepless

Sleepless
06-04-2002, 05:51 AM
With a nod to Puddlefish, here's a rough sketch for a companion piece to my Enchanted Hag challenge art. I may not finish it but I felt like drawing tonight. No pencil sketch first on this so it may be hard to make it look like the other, but that will be a good lesson for me.

A man's gotta chop wood.

puddlefish
06-04-2002, 08:42 PM
excellent, However I would suggest a little bit more detail in the foreground, or maybe just some more distance between the tree and the character. It would really help draw the viewer in like your first painting does.
I think it's a lot more magical when you're given a sense of peeking into these pictures, from behind a tree or through some undergrowth, rather than just standing there. Adds to the sense of alienation and danger that is present in all fairy tales.

Carlocki
06-05-2002, 08:43 PM
a banal question...any wacom?

Tommy Lee
06-06-2002, 02:36 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! You are the Adobe Acrobat-dude....

I knew that I seen ya work befor.
Love ya style. It reminds me a bit of my own style and
Tim Burtonīs(I mean the spirals,..lol);)

Keep on ya outstanding art:applause: :applause:

Yours

Tommy Lee

Sleepless
06-07-2002, 07:07 AM
Carlocki->Wacom all the way, I didn't even try this stuff until I got one.

Tommy-> Yes that's me, just not pre V.5.0. That was the last job I did in that technique (mixed media) and then I switched to all acrylic paints. The adobe folks were the ones originally pushing me to learn Photoshop so I could manipulate my final art and they wouldn't have to do it. Interesting how things happen.

So now I guess you know we have a name in common too. Your piece is looking wicked, love it.

My enchanted forest Hag Challenge art is complete. I started this companion piece for myself. "Husband 'o Hag" Maybe I'll finish it.

Thanks P-fish for the advice/crit. I've re-worked it some.

Sleepless

Tommy Lee
06-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Thanks Sleepless!:)

Maybe we should do some cooparative work sometimes...:thumbsup:

Love ya new pic too. Itīs exactly my thing too...:insane:

Hope you will finish this one.

Greetz from Tom Lee to Tim & Karen Lee:beer:

puddlefish
06-07-2002, 11:54 AM
This looks much better!! However (picky, picky) the fact that the right arm is reaching in front of the tree looks a little funny to me. He doesn't seem to be that far from the door, and yet he can reach past the tree (which should have as much depth as width, pretty much). Just looks a little funny.
Still, hope you get to finish this one too!

Sleepless
06-07-2002, 04:25 PM
Puddlefish-> Thanks for calling me on that one, I saw the problem but didn't act on it. Now I have and it's been adjusted, I'll post again after I work on the art some more.

Your Art direction is much appreciated.

Sleepless

OZ
06-07-2002, 11:02 PM
One of the best 2d ever!!!!!!!:applause: Fantastic style and colors! amazing.

Sleepless
06-10-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm calling this one finished.

Thanks for all the comments

I moved her husband to the WIP section I'll update him there from now on.

Carlocki
06-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Sleepless is it possible that i saw ur draws on a cg review?

Sleepless
06-10-2002, 04:59 PM
I don't think so, I a total newbie to everything CG, but I'm working on it.

Carlocki
06-10-2002, 05:26 PM
anyway everthing great.....
hmmm Waht about aa creation of a comic?
i ahve some ideas
here in Turin there's also a great comic publisher

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 03:54 PM
oh yeah, it's done and it's great. So what's the trick to getting the pastel look? It's pastelish to me.

Awesome.

Sleepless
06-12-2002, 06:45 AM
Gamoran-> Thanks! Pastel secret? I'm not experienced enough to say, the few I have done just seem to come out like that. Maybe it's the sloppy scribbles or just optimization for web. I did use some scanned texture in the early stages though.

Here's the thread for companion art. I'ts nearly completed. Let me know what you think.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=87934#post87934

Tommy Lee
06-28-2002, 11:58 AM
Here are my Stars for ya:*****

Superb work!:applause:
Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

Sleepless
06-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Thank ye tommy, you're very gratious....:surprised

Tommy Lee
06-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Congrats Sleepless!

5 Winners 5 Stars:eek: :)

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

meathead
07-01-2002, 11:27 PM
That's really nice work. It's really great to see the progression of it too. You should do some childrens books some day. That's one thing I am doing at my own slow pace too, so I really like work like that. check out mine if you like, but nice work:applause:

http://www.portfolios.com/c.leathers

I'll go vote for you now.:buttrock:

Sleepless
07-03-2002, 05:17 AM
Meathead-> Children's books, sounds like fun to me. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll do enough of this kinda stuff and mail out some postcards showing it. This is a new style for me right now though. How's that site workin for you? The color you use on your guache stuff is nice and subdued. Put more of those up on that site. Thanks for the vote.:)

meathead
07-03-2002, 05:35 AM
Youre right, they are subdued. I like that though, but they need more action, in the painting.

I have not been advertising that site to anyone until about the last month. I put off all dealings with childrens books until about last month but soon I am going to persue it again.

Check this girl out. You'll like her stuff too, I do:

http://www.kelmurphy.com/portfolio.htm :bounce:

Sleepless
07-03-2002, 06:05 PM
Is the avatar a pic of you, Brad Holland or degas? You're right she does nice workj:) I hope to get my new site up by summer but learning how to create it from scratch is taking some time.

meathead
07-03-2002, 06:29 PM
that, oh, that's meat head.

Carlocki
07-03-2002, 06:49 PM
no no, the man in the avatar it's me

:rolleyes:

meathead
07-03-2002, 07:38 PM
what are you doing creeping your beardy self all up in my avitar. back to the stable with you.:scream:

Carlocki
07-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Massachusettes
Humor?

meathead
07-04-2002, 09:28 PM
HAAAaarrgh, HARgh, rar:airguitar :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.