PDA

View Full Version : Drawing with a ruler on a Wacom to get straight lines

JETainton
04-28-2010, 02:06 AM
Hi- I have a question about one area of working on an illustration that I find frustrating in the digital realm, as opposed to old school traditional. I have an illustration and it is of a mechanical object- which means man made straight edges. I try and get the lines straight freehand on the Wacom but it is very lacking in accuracy.
I don't want to use the line tool (in PS) because it looks different that the other lines draw with the pen. To solid. How can I get this important aspect of rendering line art using PS and Painter?

Lunatique
04-28-2010, 06:16 AM
If you vary the thickness of the lines in Photoshop, it won't look as mechanical (just type in a different value in the Line Tool parameters). Varying the thickness of lines is also beneficial for conveying some information regarding the lighting direction, weight, distance, mass...etc as well.

In Painter, the V hotkey gives you straight lines with any of the brushes. B changes it back to freehand.

Stonepilot
05-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Hold shift in ps. Gives you straight lines also.

Bouke285
05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Do your line work in sketchbook pro it has exactly the tool you are looking for Shift-E, and Shift-R for straight and curved rulers.

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.