PDA

View Full Version : best way to create HDRI images

misterwolfy
04-27-2010, 05:01 AM
I am creating HDRI images, specifically to be used with image based lighting. wondering if anyone would care to offer some advice.

My current method is to take a bracketed series of raw digital pictures, generally about nine images, starting with a good exposure raising and lowering the shutter speed by two "stops" four times in either direction.

Then I combined the raw images directly in Photoshop using "merge to HDR".

Seems to work well, but I'm wondering if some experienced users prefer different methods and or different software to create more perfect HDR images.

Blackstone
04-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Hello,

I prefer to use free software so that I use http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtpfsgui/ by which you can also make a HDRI, modify gamma in order to get the proper preview result, HDRI projection transform, from angular to cylinder mapping, several kinds of tone mapping algorthims.

misterwolfy
04-28-2010, 03:22 AM
thanks! Looks cool. Unfortunately, this software seems not to work on Snow Leopard, my current os.

Blackstone
04-28-2010, 04:30 AM
That's based on QT4 so I think maybe we can compile it fir OSX.

misterwolfy
04-28-2010, 04:39 AM
I would love to try it. :arteest:

Lightweight
04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
We used Autodesk Stitcher for a project on work just recently, and it worked out really fine.

On a sidenote, it's incredible how low-res your HDR can be in terms of sheer lighting purposes.
You can use a HDR the size of 300x300 and the lighting will become just as good as if it was 3000x3000, and you save ALOT of rendering times.

However you need to use a high quality reflection map anyway in order to get those in there, and render these things out in passes. =)

RagingBull
05-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Buy the HDRI Handbook - and I doubt you'll ask any questions in regards to HDRI any more :thumbsup:

ganzo
05-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Well for processing the bracketed exps for each angle I use HDR Shop the USC free version. And to stitch all the hdrs for each angle I use ptgui..it is really good and lots of manual control.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2010, 05:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.