PDA

View Full Version : High res- video output?

r_mc_gowan
04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey all,

Im working on a project which requires the produced animation to be rendered out in Full HD 1920x1080. Its only 13 seconds long, 30 frames a second. Im using 3ds max 2009, and with that im fairly limited to choices of video output. I have tried exporting the frames and importing the set into quicktime, as the client wants a h. 264 codec end result, but the 13 second clip results in over a 2gb!

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks,

- R

scrimski
04-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Do not render straight into video. Never ever.
As for the 2 GB of data - do the math: 13 seconds * 30 frames per second * 6 MB per frame(uncompressed).

Full HD resolution can be encoded into h264 with a bitrate of 2500kB/s or maybe even less like 1500. If you see artefacts, increase the bitrate, if not, decrease, until you start seeing some, then go up a bit until they disappear.

DanHibiki
04-26-2010, 10:27 PM
do you not have any editing software at all? if not, you can always render the frames and load them in to Video Post. That will give you some options, but not many, especially if you have a 64bit version of max(quicktime won't work on it).

jeb
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I dont undesrtand, your h264 video is 2gb, or your 3ds max render output is 2gb.

Ive managed render uotputs from max in several diffferent formats over 4gb and quicktime opens them nice, even in image sequence.

but whats the problem exactly you cant handle a 2gb video in your computer? please elaborate

r_mc_gowan
04-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Ah its just the fact after bringing the images into quicktime and rendering the h.264 codec, the 13 second file is unplayable on my machine, and also, insanely huge. I need to get it to a more managable but yet also high quality size. I was just testing rendering it straight to video out of 3ds max to see what the results would be, as I have little experience in video outputs.

To elaborate, I need to output this video to Full HD, with high quality, with a more managable size.
What would the ideal size of a full HD 13 second video be? What software should I use to achieve this? The end result is being used in film production intro, so it will have to be of high quality.

btw, thank you all for your quick replies!

- R

jeb
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
are you using the defaults in h264?
you should play with

framerate, with 20 to 24 you can be ok.

bitrate this is important for playback try lowering it to a size it looks good for you

keyframing, that one is important tooo.

you shouldnt get something more than 300mb even if using really high settings. does it have audio too?

r_mc_gowan
04-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah the defaults in quicktime anyways. It will eventually have audio, but for the moment im concentrating on getting high quality video. What would be the best source file type to use for the frame images? Currently im using uncompressed .tiff?

And one problem I do have when outputing the frames in quicktime to video, is the options I have. First you can just choose save, this method doesnt prompt you with options for codec, resolutions, etc. I believe it uses the defaults in my next option. Instead it lets you choose between a self-contained or reference, as in localised to the frames.

Where as if you choose file->export, you have the option to change all the settings for the codec, etc. But this is also localised to the frames on my machine, if you understand me?

Thanks Jeb!

captain brainiac
04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Que?
13 seconds in h.264shouldn't be bigger than 100 meg or less. You are doing something terribly wrong.
Just do the math: 13 secs * 30 frames = 390 frames. that would mean every frame is bigger than 5 megabyte... that's almost "uncompressed".
1920 * 1080 * 24 bits = 49766400 / 8 = 6224040 = 6.2 Mbyte / Frame * 390 = 2,418 GB

Your quicktime video isn't encoded with H.264... it is uncompressed!
And that's why your computer can't play it.

Can't toxic (max composite) do the job for youz

scrimski
04-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Quicktime Pro can, the 3ds Max RAM player can and Super C encoder can.
framerate, with 20 to 24 you can be ok.They also can be wrong.
Framerates depend on certain standards: 24 for film, 25 for PAL, 30 for NTSC.

The end result is being used in film production intro, so it will have to be of high quality.Go uncompressed or with the Animation codec in Quicktime and let the client worry about compression.

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2010, 11:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.