PDA

View Full Version : SILO wishlist/bugreports

lowkey
09-11-2003, 03:38 PM
PLEASE DON'T INCLUDE ANY CHIT-CHAT IN THIS THREAD!

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A TRANSPARENT LIST OF REQUESTED FEATURES AND BUG REPORTS for nevercenter's SILO ONLY!

:thumbsup:

lowkey
09-11-2003, 03:39 PM
01. selections as part of history (optional)

02. partially done actions undoable (e.g. single step append/split)

03. when performing an action (e.g. connect) it's impossible to repeat it by 'repeat last command', for selecting components is already considered a repeatable action.
this isn't really helpful, maybe a 'repeat last tool action' would come in quite handy.

04. one can't directly convert an edge-ring selection into a face selection. you'll always have to make it edges or vertices first.

05. i'd welcome an 'options' box for the duplicate function. sometimes it's very helpful to make several copies/instances with fixed offsets in one go.

06. 'bevel/extrude/chamfer/flatten vertices'

07. 'inset/intrude faces'

08. 'pickwalk/jump selection'

09. what's wrong with the axis'? i mean, silo seems to use a 'y-up world coordinate system'. so why on earth is the red axis - which i consider to be X - pointing up?
is this just a colour issue or a bug?

10. FBX-import/export

11. hybrid selctions (e.g. edges+verts)

12. 'shrink/contract selection' more like 'select connected': GROW - expand selection set by one adjacent poly, edge, etc
SHRINK - contract selection set by one adjacent poly, edge, etc

13. 'separate merged objects'/'split vertices'

14. lock/toggle 'orient manipulator to normal'

15. 'spin quads'

16. 'snap-modes' (grid/components)

17. visual representation of 'soft selection area' + intuitive method of scaling this area interactively

18. create 'area of influence' from selection

19. extrude by region (group) / individually

20 . use of modifiers in shortcuts (CTRL/ALT)

21. function for automatically merging border edge vertices that lie in the origin resp. in the center of the instance-mirror when merging objects.

22. weld/bridge command (objects/components)

Thalaxis
09-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Construction history? Is that even feasible? I don't know how
much it would take to implement something like that, to be
honest.

Layers would be cool, too.

lowkey
09-11-2003, 05:32 PM
damnit, i wanted this thread to be clean of any form of discussion, opinion-sharing and whatnot...all for the sake of clarity making it easier for the community and developers to get a picture of what's still to be done and what's not!

can some moderator please delete those posts - including this one - and make us start over?! :shrug:

AND PLEAAAAAAAAASE DON'T REPLY TO THIS POST!!!

tjnyc
09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by lowkey
damnit, i wanted this thread to be clean of any form of discussion, opinion-sharing and whatnot

Don't take this in the wrong way but maybe if you didn't post a thread in a DISCUSSION forum were discussion, opinion-sharing and whatnot is what it is there for then this would not happen. If you want a list of features and bug list then just send it directly to Nevercenter, or put up your own web page with your list and not make demands on people when you do not have the authority to do so.

regards,

lowkey
09-11-2003, 07:03 PM
nono, this wasn't meant to be an offense, i'm not demanding anything from anybody! :shame:

it's just that people participating in other SILO threads wanted a thing like this to share their wishes and requests in some kind of overview.

that's why i set it up...:shrug:

if you go through other forums like maya/max/etc. you'll notice that this kinda 'limited threads' exist for different topics.

there are enough SILO discussion threads open right now and i thought it was a good idea to bundle their outcome in here.

don't like it?! don't post!

:thumbsup:

Thalaxis
09-11-2003, 07:16 PM
I saw two posts that expressed feature requests, and then your
post asking that people stick to bug reports and feature requests.

I don't see what the problem was in the first place.
:hmm:

lowkey
09-11-2003, 08:07 PM
not a real problem, maaan! ;)

i just wanted this thread to become a list of bugs and features to support the development of SILO, without cluttering it with usual communication.

something like 'the maya FAQ thread'.

but anyway, what are we talkin' about?!

it's just a freakin' thread...and i keep spoiling it mysef by posting replies!

:rolleyes: :surprised :eek:

Thalaxis
09-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by lowkey
not a real problem, maaan! ;)

I didn't mean for it to sound like that, I probably should have said
"confusion" instead :)

it's just a freakin' thread...and i keep spoiling it mysef by posting replies!

You got that right! :wavey:

lowkey
09-11-2003, 08:20 PM
so let's all forget about it and be happy again! :beer:

anyway, it might have been a really nice idea!

Thalaxis
09-11-2003, 08:26 PM
It still is a nice idea!

Now, about that construction history in Silo...

... not to mention the list of 22 feature requests you posted to
start this off...

evan
09-12-2003, 05:59 AM
Ok, I hav'nt used Silo alot, probably about 2-3 days of solid modeling in it but there are a few small things I'd like changed;

1. when instance mirror is used, it would be nice if the points/vertices that run down the x axis of the object are merged or at least unable to be "pulled away" from the centre, leaving a gap in the mesh.

2. When using subdivide it would be nice if you did'nt have to be in object mode before using subdivide. Just hitting a short cut key/button to enter subdivide mode and the same again to unsubdivide would be cool. Regardless of what selection mode your in.

3. Im getting use to the control cage when in subdivide mode, although I think it still gets in the way somewhat, especially whe n in face mode and tweaking. Is it possible to make the control cage edges/points finer?

Thats about all for the moment. From a organic modelers side of things, Silo is fantastic. I like how it feels and performs and would like it to remain easy to use/uncluttered, without too many "bells and whistles" so to speak. I'd rather see Nevercenter perfect the tools that are already available (eg. as above) then introduce too many more.

Well, thats about it from me.

Regards

bored alien
09-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by evan
2. When using subdivide it would be nice if you did'nt have to be in object mode before using subdivide. Just hitting a short cut key/button to enter subdivide mode and the same again to unsubdivide would be cool. Regardless of what selection mode your in.

3. Im getting use to the control cage when in subdivide mode, although I think it still gets in the way somewhat, especially whe n in face mode and tweaking. Is it possible to make the control cage edges/points finer?
Regards

2. You can actually subdivide and unsubdivide in any selection mode, just make sure you have at least one verte/edge/face selected when you hit c or v.

3. You can edit the thickness of lines and vertices in the Options > Display Options... window, but it affects all lines not just the subdivision cage. Maybe it's good enough though?

hope that helps! :)

ambient-whisper
09-13-2003, 02:39 AM
isnt the development thread meant for wishlists, and updates from developers?

maybe this should turn to just a bug hunt. instead of having people go through 3 similar threads....

lowkey
09-13-2003, 08:06 AM
that's exactly why i wanted to keep this thread in a list-form ONLY!
some sort of collection of the outcome of those disccusion threads already up.

if you read through the first 3-4 posts you'll get the point i was after...maybe one can 'revert' it to what it was intended to be!? :shrug:

chikega
09-14-2003, 03:04 AM
1. Extrude edges (not just a flat plane extrusion)
2. Move single vertex along it's normal
3. Ability to snap Split Tool to midpoint of edge (by holding down Shift)

chikega
09-15-2003, 03:24 AM
Normal move - as it stands now - the movement w/ universal tool is undirectional - each face, etc.. does not continue along it's own normal when multiple contiguous faces, etc.. are selected - please refer to Wings3d normal move implementation.

lowkey
09-16-2003, 10:45 AM
conservation of 'creased/uncreased' edges on .obj-export! don't know if this is possible by the specification though!

Squeakypics
09-16-2003, 11:55 AM
A couple of ideas here:
I'd like to be able to bevel points.
I'd like an 'inset' command as in Wings.
I'd also like some view tools - Zoom to selection/ zoom to object sort of thing.
And finally some sort of way to interactively change the soft selection fall off - maybe something like in Painter: Ctrl + alt and drag to set a sphere of influence?

Over all I think this is an excellent bit of software and worth every penny (and then some)

Squeakypics
09-16-2003, 12:01 PM
oh, and a couple more...

I don't know if this is possible but it would be FANTASTIC if the split tool could link into existing vertices.

Being a stylus user I'd love to be able to customise the right click menu.

Right back to the day job!

emack
09-17-2003, 05:25 AM
As listed above, I'd like an inset tool, but with an ability to pick between creating many small inset faces inside a grouped polygon selection, or creating a new 'ring' that runs around the inside perimeter of the selection.

This can be achieved by deleting the edges to create a single n sided polygon and then using inset on it, but sometimes it's nice to be able to keep the edges for later use.

Eliot

Squeakypics
09-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Hush my mouth. The split tool CAN merge with existing vertices. Just make a cut on an edge near the vertex you want to link to and slide it ontop of that point.
Very nice!

lowkey
09-22-2003, 08:58 AM
ok, my list of wishes continues! :drool:

- numerical editor more like some kind of component editor (to edit multiple components at once e.g. vertex transformations)

- automatical 'active window detection', when working with multiple views. right now one's got to activate a window by clicking, which disturbs the flow somehow.

- automatical 'active object detection', when working on multiple objects. right now one's got to switch into object-mode, select the object, switch back into component-mode, before actually being able to edit the mesh.

- conservation of 'creased/uncreased' edges on .obj-export/re-import! don't (know if this is possible by the specification though!)

- deformers (maya/wings3d got some pretty decent ones!)

- head up display information (poly count/ selected components, etc.)
- center pivot / snap pivot of one obect to another object('s component)

- transform/rotate/scale in increments (maybe by using modifiers to select units)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.