PDA

View Full Version : Post your Human Anatomy Proportions Tips and Tricks

RobertoOrtiz
09-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Representing a Human being is a hard effort.
Form the master of the renaissance common measurements of the
Human body has been made to help in the creation of art.
These tricks are commonly taught in art schools, but a bit chuck
of the CG community is unaware of them.

So please post in thread the tips and tricks of the human body.
Hopefully we will be able to use this thread as reference in the future.

-R

Dave Black
09-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Great idea Roberto!

Here's a few "Canon" examples. Good rules of the thumb for overall proportions based on a common ideal.

There are three canons for determining the proportions of the human figure:
(a) A canon of seven and a half heads for the ordinary figure.
(b) A canon of eight heads for the ideal figure
(c) A canon of eight and a half heads for the heroic figure

HEAD PROPORTIONS:

-The eyes = halfway between the top of the head and the chin.
-The bottom of the nose=halfway between the eyes and the chin.
-The mouth=halfway between the nose and the chin.
-The corners of the mouth=centers of the eyes.
-The top of the ears=eyebrows.
-The bottom of the ears=bottom of the nose.

Honestly, George Bridgman's books have been the best I've ever read on the subject of anatomy. If you actually READ it, and not just look at the pictures like alot of people I've seen, you will learn so much about the relationships within the human form. One can look at form of the body as a set of rules governed by tensions, gravity, and rythm. I'd really recommend buying his book(s) if you have the money. It helped me out alot.

Cool thread, man!

-3DZ

:D

Sciatica
09-11-2003, 03:40 PM
well.. Im sure tons of people will recommend the Loomis books.. places like fineart.sk (http://www.fineart.sk) have wicked resources for proportion and such.. you can just stick one of the front views of a body on a plane in your 3d program of choice, and you will have a good reference right there...

Style wise, a couple things we where told in school for good reference:

Hands: Male hands should be larger, bulkier, Female hands smaller, slimmer
Body shape: Male should contain more straight lines, Female more curves
Mid section more pronounced on females
Shoulder section more pronounced on males
Jaw: Males should be more square, Female more curved
Head: More square on males, more round on females
Feet: Larger on males, smaller on females

To follow most of these rules, would mean that all your work would resemble a DC comic book, but they do provide good reference points when designing charecters...

The school I went to for my 3d trainer was actually, half the year classical animation, the other half 3d.. and we had life art on every Friday... I totally believe that the classical part of the course was the most usefull part since it was there that we learned lots of film technique (ark of motion, C & S curves, line of action, composition, ect) and also where we learned all the typical animation techniques (stretch and squash, exageration, anticipation, cloth studies)...

I think, in general, if you want to learn the human form... the best thing you could possible ask for is to attend life art classes. There value in all forms of art cannot be expressed enough. I don't know about local life art sessions in your city.. but our local college has a weekly model and all you need to get in is $6 and your own tools :)

negative9
09-11-2003, 08:22 PM
...to 3DZealot mesurements.

The human mesurments I used in school were simalar, but slightly different.

Height of a human figure is 8 Heads.
Width is 3 Heads.

For the face:
You should be able to divide across the face five sections, the middle section become the bridge of the nose, and the sections to the left and right are the eye sockets.

the nostrals should end where the eyes begin

the top of the ear should be at the corner of the eye and the bottom of the ear at the base of the nose.

From the base of the nose to the bottom of the face should be divided vertically into three sections, the top being the mouth.

Closed mouth should end at the edge of the nostrals, or beginin of the eyes. Triangulation is used for other movements of the mouth, based off the nose.

I know a diagram with the mesurements would be best, and I use to have one. I haven't looked at the site mentioned, but mayybe there is one there.

I found different art teachers use different methods of measuring.

//negative9//

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.