PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had this problem exporting normal maps from Zbrush?

xRaZx
04-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Hey people. I'll have to preface the question here with an explanation of whats got me in this predicament:

I created a base mesh for a character in which the UVs for the head area were in UV space of U -1 to 0, and the UVs for the rest of the body in U 0 - 1. I did a high poly sculpt of the normal maps for the character's body and tried to create the normal map from the high rez, and Zbrush just wouldn't do it. After asking around, I was informed that Zbrush doesn't really like the negative UV range, so I imported a new base mesh that included the UVs for the head (shrunk down and thrown in the corner) just to see if that'd fix the problem. I reconstructed (the button in Zbrush, not literally) the high rez from the new base mesh and tried exporting the normal map, and still nothing. This is where I'm currently at, and I've been trying to fix the problem here.

Additional Details:
- The texture layout in zbrush seems to be inverted compared to how the UVs are layed out in Maya. Is this normal for Zbrush to do this?

- I can create and export a displacement map just fine.

I'm still a bit of a novice with Zbrush and normal mapping. If anyone has had this problem or is familiar with what I need to do to fix it, I'd appreciate a reply. I hate redoing work (don't we all), so I'd like to try to get this high rez sculpt to actually export.

Thanks ahead of time.

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2010, 06:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.