PDA

View Full Version : Fractured Pieces...

brainycomp
04-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Im trying to simulate a statue crumbling with a low-res mesh/pieces that will be replaced with high-res pieces.

How do i replace the low-res fractured pieces with the high-res pieces so that my model doesn't look fractured at the start of the simulation?

Hope this makes sense. I think I got how to reference and wrap objects but what to do when fracturing??? :cry:

mrdreamer
04-26-2010, 04:08 PM
If I hear you aright, you have the hi-res pieces that fractured accordingly to the lo-res pieces. You can bake your dynamic simulation on the hi-res pieces or parent them accordingly to save your dynamic rig.
Then you can try to use `mesh > combine` to unite the hi-res pieces together and merge the vertices forming the ckracks.

brainycomp
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks. This sounds like it would work but for a highly complex model, is this really the best way to go about the situation? Seems like it would take forever to merge all the vertices and if I (merge > combine) the mesh, won't that simply disable the fractured high-res pieces from moving?

I've seen this done again and again in reels and breakdowns...is this really the only way to do this?

Grashock
04-26-2010, 05:24 PM
In order to accomplish the sim that I have kinda shown below, I generated the HiRes geometry, then exported out to RealFlow, generated the sim, then, upon re-import of the animation.sd file, the low res exports are replaced with the HiRes versions. The important thing for this to happen is that the name of the reference object and the HiRes geometry must be the same. Hope this helps.

http://www.integrated-graphics.net/LucasStorage/001.jpg

http://www.integrated-graphics.net/LucasStorage/002.jpg

brainycomp
04-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks...so you exported this title to realflow and than imported the simulation back into Maya and replaced the lowres mesh with the high-res?

If this is what you're saying and if you replaced the low-res sim with your high-res mesh, how did the high-res simulate? How does it go from a single mesh to a bunch of shards/fractures without the use of realflow???

Now im getting confused. AAAAAH! Please help me! :cry:

DynamicBoy
04-27-2010, 12:00 AM
You can simply get rid of all the stuff, low-res to high-res, by using a plugin able to handle both high-res prefracturing and dynamics motion, yeah, it exist, Pulldownit. Look at this video breaking several high-res columns:

http://vimeo.com/9769642

In addition with pulldownit using convex hull the computation time is independent of the mesh resolution, and believe me, it is very fast.

brainycomp
04-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks DynamicBoy. Pulldownit...i've been eyeing this for a while now and very eager to use it but unfortunately I'm on mac and as far as I know it isn't compatible. Got any beta testers? :(

Any other ideas?

DynamicBoy
04-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Pulldownit for mac is coming, but I suppose you are hurry. A possibility is dual your machine with both windows and mac os, using bootcamp for free, you can do this seamlessly, I did it with my macbook pro in less than one hour, sure.

brainycomp
04-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Any idea when it will in fact come out for mac? days, weeks, months...years??? I see it was mentioned last year but still nothing.

I dont own a copy of windows unfortunately. Maybe you have a beta version for mac?

I'd buy it now if it was for mac...

thanks!

DynamicBoy
04-27-2010, 02:38 AM
Yeah, pulldownit for mac is planned since september 2009, but you know, they are priorities, and we have prefered to develop pdi 1.5 for windows first, with new features in shatter and dynamics,
we will try to have pulldownit for mac ready in a few months, I would like also to have it soon.

brainycomp
04-27-2010, 01:47 PM
alright, sounds good. thanks again. If anyone has any other ideas about doing this in Maya without the use of a plugin, please let me know!

Grashock
04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Sorry bout the delay. I had to pre-break the pieces. In order to do that, I used a combination of the (lousy) shatter script, and hand-modeling to get the pieces where I wanted them. After I was done (with the hi-res pieces) I ran a poly-reduce at about 25% and that's the geometry I exported. To be honest, I likely could have used the high res geometry, but the sim time would have been higher.

Hope that answers your question.

brainycomp
04-27-2010, 07:53 PM
No problem, thanks Grashock. This method seems to make sense for something as simple as the title animation you did but when it comes to more complicated scenes, I wonder how they really do this for big productions and stuff.

I can't seem to find anything on this...

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2010, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.