PDA

View Full Version : 2011 auto-resizer tip

destruct007
04-26-2010, 05:31 AM
I've found that the auto-resizer seems to stop the upward motion, and doesn't re-size very well. Like it looks like the fluid hits a closed boarder (its not closed) and starts to react like it hit the boarder then it auto resizes and it grows up again but now dampened.

I've played with the settings but until I figure out how to get around that, I set my Y to be Both closed and not to auto resize closed boarders. seems to work really well then.

Try it, do a test with auto resize and then turn it off and you'll see the fluid will go up further.

I imagine there's a propor fix, but I haven't found it yet. Also the max voxel count doesn't seem to work. the default 200 can't be the total voxels I donno, still playing and learning.

SebKaine
04-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi David, i'm a little bit out of subject ... but

i was wondering if you've try Cosku plug'ins for doing auto resize of your fluid grid ?

http://coskuozdemir.com/blog/?p=40

just to know if the 2011 enhancement on fluids , worth an upgrade ( i'm still on 2009 ...)

destruct007
04-26-2010, 05:02 PM
yeah its well worth the upgrade. I'm loving it overall. I worked with Cosku at ILM and I have tried his plug-in. Just can't use it at work, since it needs his custom cache, which we're hesitant to implement. Generally unsupported plug-ins are a no-no in production. Cosku is really smart and I don't doubt his skillz, just would rather use the built in maya tools.

I wonder if bug fixes will come out in a maya patch or if they'll just fix it and wait a year to release? I haven't seen a maya patch update since... a long time!

tpalamar
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I've found that the auto-resizer seems to stop the upward motion, and doesn't re-size very well. Like it looks like the fluid hits a closed boarder (its not closed) and starts to react like it hit the boarder then it auto resizes and it grows up again but now dampened.

I have noticed the same thing. I haven't been able to pinpoint a solution but have found that using a high base resolution and Replace for the density method increases the likelihood of it happening. I have been using high Add values with a low base res instead.

Cheesestraws
04-26-2010, 06:27 PM
I wonder if bug fixes will come out in a maya patch or if they'll just fix it and wait a year to release? I haven't seen a maya patch update since... a long time!

Theres been one a service pack per release since forever.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9242259

Isn't the problem with the fluid hitting a boundary related to the fact that the temperature usually travels ahead of the density and thus you lose a lot of it when the fluid is resized? Would explain why the fluid motion is dampened too. But I haven't played with 2011 much, stupid Autodesk and their no linux trial, but similar stuff happens when resizing fluids in Houdini although there you could resize based on any volume not just density.

tpalamar
04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I can get the fluid to flatten at the top of the container with or without temperature. Not real sure, but it seems to be more related to density vs speed

destruct007
04-27-2010, 01:56 AM
huh cheesestraws, who knew! hahah. But yeah still no fix other then to keep the Y high and closed. I'm still playing with it, might be the default values need to be significantly edited or it might be a bug.

Aikiman
04-27-2010, 04:47 AM
you can use another emitter (which emits nothing) and animate it ahead of your sim with resize to fit emitter on.

destruct007
05-01-2010, 01:23 PM
http://vimeo.com/11377872

looks like the resizer is only useful in certain cases, but it definitely effects the sim.

KidderD
05-01-2010, 03:54 PM
http://vimeo.com/11377872

looks like the resizer is only useful in certain cases, but it definitely effects the sim.

I don't get why anyone would think that resizing wouldn't affect the sim? The Maya fluid solver has always been resolution dependent. I agree I would love to have upres as much as the next tweak monkey, but I just don't understand why now, we would expect changes in resolution not to affect the simulation.

destruct007
05-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I don't think you understand what I was saying/what this feature is suppose to do. the resizer changes the rez but it doesn't change the scale of the rez which wouldn't change the sim. That might be a hard concept to grasp. Like a scale of 10 in x might have a rez of 100, but that is the same rez as a scale of 9 to 90, 6 to 60. The sim would be the same in all those unless it hit the boarder. A different rez would be 9 to 180 (double the rez).

The reason the resizer effects the sim is b/c the fluid is hitting the container walls not b/c of the change in the size. Its called resizer b/c it changes the size not the rez, altho it is changing the rez the only thing it needs is a bigger buffer between where there is fluid and the edge which there is no setting for.

Cheesestraws
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
It only checks the second row of voxels in, this probably isn't too bad on a fluid with a low resolution and low velocities but at a high resolution I am not sure it is enough.

KidderD
05-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't think you understand what I was saying/what this feature is suppose to do. the resizer changes the rez but it doesn't change the scale of the rez which wouldn't change the sim. That might be a hard concept to grasp. Like a scale of 10 in x might have a rez of 100, but that is the same rez as a scale of 9 to 90, 6 to 60. The sim would be the same in all those unless it hit the boarder. A different rez would be 9 to 180 (double the rez).

The reason the resizer effects the sim is b/c the fluid is hitting the container walls not b/c of the change in the size. Its called resizer b/c it changes the size not the rez, altho it is changing the rez the only thing it needs is a bigger buffer between where there is fluid and the edge which there is no setting for.

Hey, I did say I didn't get, didn't I? Thanks for clearing that up. Can't you alter the buffer with the tolerance attribute? Perhaps not enough control.

circusboy
09-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Anyone try the workaround from the docs?
"Auto-resizing fast moving and high resolution fluids"
With the extra emitter?

Although auto resize feature looked sexy in the demo - but currently doesn't seem to as useful as FumeFX's Adaptive mode (container remains unchanged but the grid adapts to the size of the effect). None of these (caches, fluid behavior, initial states) side effects result from its use-in fact I've never done an effect (in Fume) with it off...

Aikiman
09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Anyone try the workaround from the docs?
"Auto-resizing fast moving and high resolution fluids"
With the extra emitter?

Although auto resize feature looked sexy in the demo - but currently doesn't seem to as useful as FumeFX's Adaptive mode (container remains unchanged but the grid adapts to the size of the effect). None of these (caches, fluid behavior, initial states) side effects result from its use-in fact I've never done an effect (in Fume) with it off...

Yep, still has issues.

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.