PDA

View Full Version : lines to paint...or blobs to paint?

vicmonty
04-26-2010, 03:35 AM
I've seen many resources that say to start out a painting with a solid line drawing. I've seen some paintings that have been done without line work. The artist just paints in the figure with the solid broad stokes and further defines the image with smaller strokes. To me, it seems like this makes it twice as hard. You have to define or pull out your subject from nothing while also establishing what the line work would have done for you. I tried this recently. I was inspired to do a figure study. Instead of drawing it in, I decided to try to paint it in and "find" the figure with my strokes. Man, I'm new to painting and my anatomy isn't all that. Seems like I took a few steps back. I did a hand study like this and it turned out fine. Perhaps the larger area of study with the whole figure was too much for me to handle. Does anyone paint without a solid line drawing? This Judith (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5228) tutorial is a good example. I tried mine in grayscale to keep it simple for me. I'm guessing this is a technique for a seasoned artist huh? Well, I got a head of myself. I was driven by the figure I couldn't help it. I think I'm going to do a a good line on the figure study and try again.

Lunatique
04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
One of the most popular misconception that novice artists have is that drawing and painting are two separate and different things. They are not. When you are painting, you are still drawing--just not with lines but with brushstrokes. Whether you're drawing with lines with painting with brushstrokes, you are still dealing with constantly having to establish and correct proportions, shapes, curves, angles, distances, sizes...etc, and if you screw up the proportion, it doesn't matter if you're dealing with lines or brushstrokes, it's simply just bad drawing.

For novices, dealing with lines is easier because it's more simplified, as there are no values or colors to deal with. Also, the concept of blocking in basic values/local colors and then do the details on top of the basic block-in is mostly foreign to novice artists--they haven't quite wrapped their heads around the different layers of broad to fine detail yet.

You know, I've observed your learning and growing for a while now, and you're the kind of person who would absolutely love my workshop. We're about to wrap up our first run and the students who are loving every second of it and are depressed that it has to end are the ones who are very much like you--curious, hard-working, passionate, and logical thinkers. According to them, what they learned from the workshop has changed their lives, and are the kind of valuable knowledge that they couldn't get from the numerous other learning resources out there.

vicmonty
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Robert, did I miss an opportunity or what? I didn't sign up because my ship was suppose to go out to sea. Schedule was changed and I was left with the time, but no class. I was telling my wife how your class is just for me.

Lunatique
04-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Well, you missed the maiden voyage (pardon the pun), but there's a high chance I'll repeat the workshop in early June, so keep an eye out for any announcements (I'll likely announce it in the main thread for the workshop).

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2010, 05:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.