PDA

View Full Version : accessing another computer through email?

vfx
09-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Hey all,

I'm doing some work for an education centre, and apparently one naughty student is boasting that he can access his home computer through his hotmail email account, and boasts that he can change the volume settings on the computers here from his home. Is this possible? Can u really do what he is saying, my knowledge on this subject is vague so any support would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

s0real
09-11-2003, 12:37 PM
It's possible to remote network from a secure network to a home PC if you know the IP address but he shouldn't be able to remote network from a home PC unless he has access codes to the network.

I don't think there's any way of remote networking through Hotmail...

heipei
09-11-2003, 01:55 PM
There are multiple ways to remote control a computer over a network.
For windows there are programs like RealVNC which is free, and other proprieatary software. But unless you got a fast connection its not that good to use (mouse is slow, jumps, it takes time till the windows are displayed)

For unix there is ssh/telnet/rcon, whatever, though id recommend the first one, since the other too are completely outdated and insecure.

But it is possible to control the pc through an email account. You could always make a script with something like perl, with fetches an email from an account, reads it in and executes certain commands. Only downside is that it takes some time for the mail to arrive.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.