PDA

View Full Version : Need help with creating drool

JPadilla
04-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Hi all,

I am currently working on my degree project, an animated short, and several shots require me to have creatures with drool in their mouth, much like when dinosaurs gape their jaws in film and we see drool sticking from top to bottom. I also have one shot with a creature being eaten, and I want to have some of his guts kind of "pop" out in different directions. I am assuming this could be done with Maya Dynamics, but I have tried gathering information with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tpalamar
04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Cool project. There are several things you could try to see if it is the right effect for you. The first, for the drool, you could use a hair curve and connect one end to the upper palette(teeth) and the other end to the bottom jaw. That would give you a constant string whenever the dino opened his mouth. You could have the curve emit particles and make the drool geometry and bind it to the curve. Another option would be to have a few emitters around the upper palette and have them slowly emit viscous nParticles.

For the creature being eaten, I am not sure what you are envisioning but you could make the modeled organs nCloth objects and place them in the dead dinosaur. The live dino would be a passive nCloth object. When he sticks his head into the dead dino, he will push the organs around.

JPadilla
04-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Thank you so much for the info Mr. Palamar. I will definitely use those techniques. The creature being eaten is a a small slug like creature, but I guess I made it sound huge. The project will be finished over the next 3 weeks. If you want to check out the film premise and creatures check out my blog:

http://jdpadillastudio.blogspot.com

Once again thanks for the great info.

Jonathan Padilla

tpalamar
04-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I just checked out your stuff, very nice. I will check back in to watch your progress.

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2010, 03:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.