PDA

View Full Version : Emitting speed from surface fluid emitter

Aikiman
04-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Im having a go at Duncan's sample scene where he uses a coil surface emitter to emit speed into fluid and create swirl by animating it with 'inherit velocity' on but Im failing miserably.

When viewing the velocity vectors on the surface emitter they want to point downwards, huh? And this doesnt change even after animating the emitter so that the inherit velocity should kick in. Actually it is because inherit velocity is on that there are downward velocities, but my understanding is that they should kick in only when the object is moving.

Anyone had success in reproducing this effect?

KidderD
04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Have you tried using max distance in the surface emitter? I did notice, after certain tweaks, particularly resolution, the down arrows can display, which seems to be a bug, however those arrows don't affect the fluid sim as long as the max distance is checked, until they contact.

Aikiman
04-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah I had a play with that, but I still dont seem to get any 'inherit velocity' when I animate the emitter around, for example 'spin' it around. Maybe Im misunderstanding inherit velocity, I thought if I spin it around it would create some circular vectors?!

Aikiman
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Those downward vectors must be a bug.

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.