PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2008 batchrendering problem. Urgent Help

prankemperor
04-24-2010, 08:05 PM
We are currently doing a project. We have a scene for which I need to render an image. I have setup my render layers, the passes I have are Diffuse, Beauty, Normal, DOF, Specular, Shadow and occulusion.

My scene is quite heavy though with about 9Million polys. We are trying to generate the output through batch rendering. Yet the rendering completes after 45% for my first pass which is my beauty.

What can the problem be? Need urgent help.I need to show the renders on Monday.

comfortk
04-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I would assume that the shear amount of memory needed to render a pass in your file is more than the supplied amount of memory in the actual machine. I would start by going into the maya file and deleting any history and unused nodes. I doubt that will fix the problem though. So you can try to break up the layers into different files. So the beauty would be a separate file... same with AO, Shadow... etc. With each new file, delete what you don't need. With the AO layer, you don't need any shaders other than the Occlusion shader... same with the depth, spec and shadow. Delete any geo that's not needed either. If something is outside of the camera view, delete it.

If you have a lot of geo that's sharing the same shader, combine the meshes. With each separate mesh, Maya's batch process has to cycle through the DAG sets (Transform data). This can be time consuming and definitely expensive as far as memory goes. I had a similar problem and combining geo that share the same shader fixed it.

Also, you might want to render through the command line as versus Maya's GUI. I tend to find that the command line rendering fixes certain problems that occur within Maya's GUI.

If you have any referenced files, import them for rendering.

Just try to streamline the process as much as possible, your goal is to reduce the amount of thinking that Maya needs to do before rendering.

If you want to get more technical, try streamlining your BSP. In the batch render settings, try manually putting in the max memory, but make it a little bit less than the amount in the machine. Hell, even try reducing the bucket size so Maya doesn't have to think about it in large chunks.

Hope this helps!

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2010, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.