PDA

View Full Version : Level Design

njackson18
04-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Here is a small scene that I am modeling for my Game Modeling class. We have to model a scene based off of a fairy tale and I am modeling a steampunk version of Rumplestiltskin. I have a bunch of ideas but right now I am trying to get a look and feel for the scene. I can't decide what to do with the cylinder at the back right corner of the wall. Let me know what you think, our poly limit for this project is 40000 poly's and I am currently at 6047 poly's.

urgaffel
04-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Just a heads up, your teacher probably meant triangles which means you're sitting at 12k at the moment. Might be a good idea to get a clarification on that since a polygon can contain any number of triangles ;)

Not familiar with Rumpelstiltskin so can't really say much about the scene but it looks like a decent start. Do you have any concepts/rough sketches you could post? It's usually a good idea to do quick thumbnails or take a screenshot and paint over to get an idea of where you want to go with your scene.

njackson18
04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Here is an update so far of my progress. I have started to set up the UV's and I have started to play with the lighting a bit. I am going for a dungeon feel since the girl in the story of Rumpelstiltskin is held hostage to turn straw into gold. Thanks for the suggestions urgaffel, I plan on doing a lot of tests once I get the levels UV's layed out completely then I will go in and start modeling a bunch of small low poly assets to make the scene look more lively.

njackson18
05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Here is an update of my game modeling project. I am finally done with UV mapping everything. I have some stuff hidden like books, tools, and trash. The lighting setup I have looks good to me so far although I made need to tweak it as I continue to texture the scene more. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Nick

njackson18
05-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Here is another update. I removed the hay because I did not like the look of it. I have to plan another way of adding the hay to the floor. But anyways here is an update with the walls being textured and normal maps are placed. I don't know about the lighting though so any critiques are more than welcome. I am going for the dark and creepy look but I still want to light the scene well enough to see details.

Ject
05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Looks like it's coming along nicely.
Some quick notes is that your texturing could use a little bit of work. First, the tiles in the floor texture look WAY too big to be realistic. You can either have the same size tiles and up the resolution per tile and decrease the size of the grout lines, or you could tile the texture a little more. second is that if you have some extra polys to spare, you should use the geometry to bring out your textures. if you have exposed rebar on a wall, have sections of concrete taken out and maybe some modeled rebar sticking out of the wall. One thing you definitely want to do is to add normal maps to your textures.

Keep up the good work.

njackson18
05-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the critiques Ject. I have made the tiles smaller on the floor like you suggested. I still have to create some normal maps for some of the textured objects but right now I am trying to texture everything and get a look to the scene. I still have a lot more modeling to do and texturing as well.Let me know what you think, any critiques are more than welcome.

Thanks

njackson18
05-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Big update since the last post. I have changed the textures of the room so that the floor and walls wont look so blurry. I have also textured some more items in the scene as well.

Ject
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
it looks like its coming along really nicely. i dont really have much critique at this point other than to finish add all of the normal maps (CrazyBump can really help speed this up). just do that and then work on the entropy modeling and this'll look awesome. btw is that black stuff on the floor a decal or baked into the tile texture? also an edged-faces screenshot wouldnt hurt.

cheers,
ject

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.