PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Poly count

shongu
04-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Alright, so I'm working on a environment in vue 7.5 xstream 64 bit and I created this really nice field next to a "forest" (couple of trees making it so you can't see into the distance). It looks great, actually its one of the first environments I'm really proud of...but that's not important....anyway, I sent it over to the 3ds max guys to start putting the animations in the scene. Even though this is a much simpler scene then my previous three they can't seem to open it without max crashing because it has 11 million polygons (according to max).
Now, in vue my poly count is 2 billion and it turns to 11 million. My poly count on a previous piece was 8 billion in vue but only 450 thousand in max. The only difference between the two is that the one I'm currently working on has 3 times the objects, because most the objects in the first scene were done with environmental painter. The animators have asked me to lower the poly count, but to my knowledge that would require deleting the trees and there for making the environment not fit their needs.

So my real question, what is causing the drastic polygon count and what can be done to lower it?

BUZZFX
04-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Without seeing the file I'd say it's your objects. You said you have 3 times the objects. Trees are instanced so they take up relatively little memory but your models are real polys and therefore use a lot of resources.

The only solution might be to use low poly models and try to thin out the trees a little. Use only trees that will be seen by the camera. Sorry, can't help more without seeing the file.

pg

AFalk
04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Following along ferom Buzz' suggestion - if you are using the curreent generation of tree models, take advantage of the lower poly Plum, Maple style trees and screen them w/your higher poly count f/g elements. You can of course, create lower poly count objects for the (presumably many) plants filling the fields.

If you are doing animation sequences w/a lot of vegetation at a distance, you can really make an impact using proxy objects for your trees -- Nick over at AisleFX has just released a Vue 8 advanced terrain tutorial package (an excellent package BTW) that details using proxy objects esp. for that purpose.

Here's a lik if you're interested::

http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=143

Last but not least, if you can share any details on the scene it would help a lot in figuring out what other options you might want to explore.

Regards,

AF

cturner3d
04-25-2010, 02:26 AM
Why can't you just render the animations in max separately and put it all together as a comp later? You're not going to get much done with those polycounts in max.

shongu
04-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure how many details I can go into because of the contract details, but The entire field consists of 4 planes (not counting the infinite). Two of them are fairly flat and covered in 3 different types of grass using the ecopainter in the material editor to make grassy planes. The other two planes are really simple hills that I colored green so that would fill out some of the space that the trees don't cover. The trees cover three different sides of the first two planes, leaving the fourth open so the camera in max can be placed on that side. If any of that helps.

I do have to learn to monitor my poly count. I was worrying more about what looked good then the poly count. I wanted to make sure that the animators got the greatest looking scenes I could supply, and they were happy with what the image looked like so I didn't even think about it.

I would prefer to render them separately, and that's actually what the studio was doing just a few months ago, but they thought the results from rendering them together looked much more real so they wanted to render together now.

cturner3d
05-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure how many details I can go into because of the contract details, but The entire field consists of 4 planes (not counting the infinite). Two of them are fairly flat and covered in 3 different types of grass using the ecopainter in the material editor to make grassy planes. The other two planes are really simple hills that I colored green so that would fill out some of the space that the trees don't cover. The trees cover three different sides of the first two planes, leaving the fourth open so the camera in max can be placed on that side. If any of that helps.

I do have to learn to monitor my poly count. I was worrying more about what looked good then the poly count. I wanted to make sure that the animators got the greatest looking scenes I could supply, and they were happy with what the image looked like so I didn't even think about it.

I would prefer to render them separately, and that's actually what the studio was doing just a few months ago, but they thought the results from rendering them together looked much more real so they wanted to render together now.

A good comp can replicate a rendering out of Vue though, I'd really try to persuade them more to let it be done as a multiapp project, your'e talking some massive headaches trying to get that working without a supercomputer.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2010, 06:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.