PDA

View Full Version : Memory issue with zBrush

meleseDESIGN
04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
As soon as I reach around 14 mio. polys and I want to devide the mesh to Level 7 zBrush opens an window with the following message:

"NOTE: Subdividing the current mesh will produce a mesh with polygons count larger than specified in the PREFERENCES:MEM options.

Decrease the number of subdiv levels or increase the max poly-count in the preferences palette."

This is the first time I have seen this message and I'm running out of knowledge.
I have no clue what to do.

Maybe someone here is familiar with this issue and knows a solution for it?
What do I make wrong?

:shrug:

RichardMarklew
04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
It's warning is literally just as it says, that if you divide again you'll exceed the maximum poly count setting in your preferences. If you divide again you'll have 14 x 4 = 56 million polys. This will be too high for your machine.
You can change the settings in the preferences but if you put it higher than it recommends, don't be surprised in zbrush crashes.
If you need more polys, you can
1 Split your model into multiple subtools or
2 Retopologise your mesh to more efficiently layout your polygons (thread about retoplogy here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=140&t=872666) or
3 Use HD geometry (video here http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/)

Richard

cgbeige
04-21-2010, 10:35 PM
ya, you should use HD geometry. If you're using ZB 3.5 on Windows or 3.2 on a Mac (which I know you are :p), HD geometry now work fine with displacement/normal map export.

Otherwise, you can work on the full res mesh but you'll keep the speed higher by doing HD geometry since it only draws ultra high detail in zones.

meleseDESIGN
04-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the links.

I didn't even know about HD geometry.
Do you think this issue is caused through my machine or does it apear because zBrush is 32-bit and doesn't support more then 4GB?

Howsoever, I need to learn more about the mentioned technics and zBrush itself.

Thanks again guys.

;)

RichardMarklew
04-22-2010, 09:53 AM
ZBrush is very reliant on RAM so that will limit you until hopefully it becomes 64bit and can utilise much more.

Richard

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2010, 09:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.