PDA

View Full Version : something like "time scale" for Pflow?

TheRispo
04-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi everyone, I'm working on a shot that requieres the animation to run at 24 fps then go into slow-motion (when the bad guy gets stabbed) and then back into normal frame rate again. Is there a way to make the particles animation to change or "scale" its movement to match the animation?

I'm not sure if I am using the right terms here to describe what I want. Think of fumeFx's "time scale" option. So far I been using some age tests to send the particles to other events where for example gravity would have 200% influence over the particles (instead of the default 1000%) so it appears to fall slower.. but I'm not quite getting it to look right.

Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated

PsychoSilence
04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
if the vertex count/topology doesnt change aka all particles spawn in the first frame of their appearance you can wrap the particles into a MesherCompoundObject and add a point cache modifier on top. The Point Cache has the option to have an animation speed curve applied.

TheRispo
04-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Anselm, thanks for the quick response! not all my particles spawn in the same frame, but that method sounds like it could get the job done, I'll try to get all my particles to be born in the same frame and just sit there hidden, then with an age test get them to behave like if they are being emitted in diferent frames so I could use a point cache.

Bobo
04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Alternatively, grab the Evaluation version of Krakatoa, save your particles to PRT sequence including Position, Velocity, Orientation, Scale and ID channels, load in a PRT Loader, tweak the time the same way you would do with a Point Cache (Playback Graph), then create a simple PFlow with Krakatoa PRT Loader Birth and Krakatoa PRT Loader Update and load the retimed animation back into Particle Flow. (The only problem would be if you used different shapes on different particles in the original flow as there is no good way to reassign the correct shapes to the specific particles, but if you are using one shape or random shapes, it should work).

You can tweak the timing interactively in the PRT Loader and the PFlow will respect that. You can also apply deformations, cull particles inside or outside volumes, apply particle channel modifiers (Krakatoa's MagmaFlow) etc.

You can take a look at the basics (not covering the retiming, but the idea is the same) here
http://software.primefocusworld.com/software/support/krakatoa/using_prt_loader_birth_and_update.php

takhachhe
05-14-2010, 11:41 AM
In plow, Is there any option to animate the time scale like in fumefx? As psycosilence mention ed that there is option in point cache to contol time scale as in fume fx, But I couldnot control. can u guys let me know in brief... Actually I m doin a scene where I have to control the motion of partiicle as in some frame the motion of partilce is slow and in some frame the motion of particle in fast .Its like the way the time scale in fume fx work.. and I have to animate the speed of particle after its emitted . can anybody let me know how it is done.. sorry for the bad english..

patriculus
01-19-2011, 07:18 AM
In plow, Is there any option to animate the time scale like in fumefx? As psycosilence mention ed that there is option in point cache to contol time scale as in fume fx, But I couldnot control. can u guys let me know in brief... Actually I m doin a scene where I have to control the motion of partiicle as in some frame the motion of partilce is slow and in some frame the motion of particle in fast .Its like the way the time scale in fume fx work.. and I have to animate the speed of particle after its emitted . can anybody let me know how it is done.. sorry for the bad english..

am also waiting for the same effect....somebody please be kind to clarify our simple doubt

patriculus
01-19-2011, 07:52 AM
animated the Graph [a] option in Track View....somewhat got the slow motion but its difficult...

PsychoSilence
01-19-2011, 12:46 PM

how about adding a drag force and animating the force influence or amount of drag?
box#2 allows for animated time scales but other then that you are stuck with a mesher/pointcache or krakatoa. the PRT Birth can be painfully slow though depending on the amount of data the PRTs carry so you gotta make sure you only cache what you need upfront.

patriculus
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
how about adding a drag force and animating the force influence or amount of drag?
box#2 allows for animated time scales but other then that you are stuck with a mesher/pointcache or krakatoa. the PRT Birth can be painfully slow though depending on the amount of data the PRTs carry so you gotta make sure you only cache what you need upfront.

What about manipulating it in Box #3.....can we create something like "time scale" control in Box #3??...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.