PDA

View Full Version : After Effects to Final Cut snyc problem

mikeBonifacio
04-21-2010, 03:51 PM
HI,

so, my editor is exporting me a quicktime from final cut pro. he's working in 29.97
im importing his video into after effects in 29.97

the video was originally shot in 23.98

i have to create graphics that correspond to the cuts which all line up and happen at the right time in after effects.
i export the graphics only as a quicktime with alpha, so he then takes my video and lays it over his original video

when he does that, most of my graphics are off by a frame.
anyone know why? or even better how to fix it?

thanks

scrimski
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
29.97 is the frame rate for NTSC drop frame(unlike 30 for NTSC non drop frame). Whatever you create your composition in - try the other with a small test animation.

He may also export his edited sequence using XML which you may import into After Effects. Even without any footage you see where he placed his cuts so you can sync to that.

ToddKopriva
04-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Even though some folks (and programs) abbreviate the frame rate to '23.98', it's actually 23.976, and you must treat it as such. That small difference can make a big difference. I don't know that that is the source of your problem, but it's a yellow flag, anyway.

mikeBonifacio
04-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah, he told me it's 23.976 but his comp (or whatever they call it in Final Cut) is 29.97, which is how he exported it to me. my comp is 29.97 and it's how i exported it back to him. he lays my graphics over his original comp and some cuts (not all, but some) are off even though they line up in my AE file.

it doesn't make sense.

i just thought about it, i'll tell him to replace his 23.976 video with the same 29.97 one that he exported to me.
it's possible he's already doing that, but of course, he's out to lunch right now

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2010, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.