PDA

View Full Version : Shrink Wrap retopo onto High Res mesh. Options?

MisterS
04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Is it possible to shrink wrap a Zbrush retopo onto a mesh that I've imported into Zbrush from another package? This imported model is not suitable for ZBrush sculpting.

If not, what software would allow me to do this? Or is there any more sophisticate retop solution out there that is a one-stop-shop?

I don't have Maya btw though could use Max if this is possible? It would take a lot of work for me to retopo some of the models I'm working with and recreate the detail.

MisterS
04-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Incase anyone's interested - I've tried demos for 3DCoat, Topogun, and Polyboost.

I found 3D Coat the most intuitive, import your reference mesh and go and it works great, subdividing gives you the shrink wrap that I was looking for.

Topogun - I used this the least mainly bacause I preferred 3D coat - However I think you can save your subdivision levels with this package - needs more investigation to conclude how good this package is.

Polyboost - yes a great tool, and even better when I realised it ships with Max 2010 - which I've had sat on my desk for about 6 months!

The tool you'd use depends upon the type of mesh you're working on. I'm working mainly with hard surface models, a shrink wrap is not precise enough for my needs - I've not actually worked out if Max 2010 has a shrink wrap option. Polyboost aka Graphite Modelling tools in Max 2010 is going to be my choice and the tools are fantastic once you explore them a little.

Max 2010 is actually a fantastic improvement over 2009 - wish I'd installed a long time ago.

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2010, 08:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.