PDA

View Full Version : Maya and ATI mobility Radeon 7500?

skygunner
05-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Is there anyone out there using Maya on a laptop (with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 64MB) that is having problems? How about someone with a laptop with the Geforce4 440 Go?

Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Joebount
05-24-2002, 01:50 PM
:p
Maya, on a laptop ! Good one ! :bounce:
Hey, wait a minute, they did Blender for Windows CE !

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Just kidding ! I guess it can run pretty well on a GF4 2 GO since I used to run Max 4 on a laptop without 3D accelerator.

feefunk
05-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Is there anyone out there using Maya on a laptop (with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 64MB) that is having problems? How about someone with a laptop with the Geforce4 440 Go?

Maya 4.0 Unlimited on a Toshiba Satellite, a PIII 1.1GHz and a GeForce4 440 Go w/32MB VRAM...
Runs mostly OK, sometimes it has minour hickups when you display a window Full Screen, (I run it at 1280x1024 instead of the screen's "native" 1600x1200 which is too small) the CPU maxes out and it becomes incredibly slow... if you go back to another layout (i.e. 4 split windows) it runs OK again.
It's like driving a car that sometimes stalls, once you get the hang of it, you can avoid the things that make it go slow and it becomes second nature to avoid the problems.

Don't know if it's an NVidia driver thing, an XP thing or something else. All in all I'm quite happy and it's a livable compromise. If you work smartly, it gets the job done, no problem.

The only thing is the 512MB max RAM capacity of the laptop that's a bummer.
I looked into the Dell Inspiron 8100 (and now the 8200) but they were too expensive and bulky/heavy.

skygunner
05-28-2002, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of getting the Gateway 600x, but the max resolution is 1024x768. In your opinion, do you think that is a satisfactory resolution to work with, or do you think the Maya icons, text, etc. are too big and waste screen real estate on a 15" laptop LCD screen?

It sounds like you run 1200x1024, correct?

feefunk
05-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by skygunner
Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of getting the Gateway 600x, but the max resolution is 1024x768. In your opinion, do you think that is a satisfactory resolution to work with, or do you think the Maya icons, text, etc. are too big and waste screen real estate on a 15" laptop LCD screen?

Correct, I'm running it at 1200x1024. At first I tried the "native" 1600x1200 res, but if you're planning on working more than 40 minutes straight, it starts to put a bit of strain on your eyes. I personally feel that 1600x1200 on a 15" makes the text just too small to read. (I know you can set your windows fonts to display bigger, but there will always be annoying things that don't scale up correctly).

At 1024x768 I believe it starts to become annoying, especially with Maya once you start opening attribute editors, channel boxes, and more than your perspective window, you'll run out of screen space and you'll find yourself constantly moving the floating windows. If the Gateway has video out with dual screen capabilities (like nVidia's nView) maybe you can consider hooking up an extra monitor and that will solve things.

Best of luck with choosing your tool.:wavey:

feefunk
05-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info.

BTW, check out this new Fujitsu Celsius:

Fujitsu Celsius Laptop (http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/rl/products/workstations/mobile/celsiusmobile/celsiusmobile_h.html#)

Don't know the price though...

cheers,

skygunner
05-30-2002, 02:48 PM
The Fujitsu laptop looks awesome, but based on their other models I know for sure that this laptop will be priced above $2000. More likely $3000 in my opinion.

Anyway, I just ordered an Inspiron 8200, which I was able to get for only $1428 including shipping after using a coupon and a mail in rebate. If I can do Maya work on it here and there, I'll be satisfied.

Feefunk, thanks for your opinions. They were a tremendous help and ultimately aided me in making the final call. :thumbsup:

feefunk
06-01-2002, 09:30 PM
The Fujitsu laptop looks awesome, but based on their other models I know for sure that this laptop will be priced above $2000. More likely $3000 in my opinion.

Anyway, I just ordered an Inspiron 8200, which I was able to get for only $1428 including shipping after using a coupon and a mail in rebate. If I can do Maya work on it here and there, I'll be satisfied.

Feefunk, thanks for your opinions. They were a tremendous help and ultimately aided me in making the final call. :thumbsup:

Hey Skygunner,

no worries mate, I'm glad to see that my experience was of some help to someone. It's amazing how quickly technology evolves. It would have been unthinkable to run Maya on a laptop when the program first came out, and now look at us!

I try not to look too much at the new hardware, it sometimes makes you go onto the neverending spiral of "oooooh, new toy... I need it now!"

:drool:

Take care, and if you're able to give us some feedback once you get your computer running, it would be great to read your review!

cheers,

ZrO-1
06-01-2002, 11:22 PM
Just two quick comments:
1) In referance to the slowdown when maximizing one of the viewports... That is really strange, it's actually opposite of what is supposed to happen. THe reason is if you have one viewport on screen the system only needs to draw the geometry once. If you have all four viewports on screen the system needs to draw the geometry 4 times. :shrug:

2) In referance to the screen resolution...If your system bogs down at the higher resolutions you could drop it down a setting (1280x1024 -> 1024x768). Then if you feel that the buttons and bars are taking up too much realestate you can always turn them off and then add them into the hotbox.

Hope those help a bit.

kandyman
06-26-2002, 07:26 AM
You could also try to run at 16 bit color depth, since this sounds like a framebuffer memory issue. Should be fine for the viewports, only your renders will look crappy...

-marin

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.